Random disconnections from a Terayon TJ715x cable modem?

I JUST got cut off (a few minutes?) again:

Cable Modem Downstream Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 71 Downstream Frequency : Downstream Modulation : QAM256 Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360537 Downstream Interleave Depth : 32 Downstream Receive Power Level : -1.9 dBmV Downstream SNR : 35.7 dB

Here is what I saw BEFORE I got cut off: Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 71 Downstream Frequency : Downstream Modulation : QAM256 Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360537 Downstream Interleave Depth : 32 Downstream Receive Power Level : -2.1 dBmV Downstream SNR : 35.3 dB

I used my fingers until I couldn't turn screw anymore on the cable modem. Using a wrench or something else sounds a bit extreme to me. ;)

I didn't see anything odd while wiggling, soft bending/flexxing, etc. on the cable connected to the modem.

Reply to
Ant
Loading thread data ...

Not again (it's watching me post, haha). I just got another one a few minutes ago so I reconnected to my home Debian/Linux box, and used Lynx to see http://192.168.100.1/CmDnstream.asp (after logging in; might be a couple minutes later after the quick disconnection):

Cable Modem Downstream Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 71 Downstream Frequency : Downstream Modulation : QAM256 Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360537 Downstream Interleave Depth : 32 Downstream Receive Power Level : -1.9 dBmV Downstream SNR : 35.7 dB

Seems like SNR is not changing much before and after. I will keep watching this for future disconnections.

Reply to
Ant

On 10/09/2008 01:41 PM, Ant sent:

This is the return/ground/shield of the coaxial unbalanced connection. It is a very important part in the circuit. The shield is also trying to keep ambient noise from the other portion of the unbalanced circuit; the inner conductor.

Notice how the SNRs have almost a 7 dB improvement! Some folks would be very envious of those numbers.

That's excellent!

Reply to
1PW

So it looks like the cable modem swap was worth it. :) Let's just hope the quick disconnections are from the router or something I can fix easily.

Cool. ;)

Reply to
Ant

Another one:

Cable Modem Downstream

Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 71 Downstream Frequency : Downstream Modulation : QAM256 Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360537 Downstream Interleave Depth : 32 Downstream Receive Power Level : -1.3 dBmV Downstream SNR : 34.1 dB

Cable Modem Status

Item Status Comments Acquire a Downstream Channel 705000000 Hz Locked Connectivity State OK Operational Boot State OK Operational Security Enabled BPI+

Cable Modem Upstream

Upstream Lock : Locked Upstream Channel ID : 7 Upstream Frequency : Upstream Modulation : QAM16 Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream transmit Power Level : 38.8 dBmV Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 4

Cable Modem Upstream Burst Modulation Type QPSK QPSK QPSK 16QAM 16QAM Differential Encoding Off Off Off Off Off Preamble Length 64 640 384 168 192 Preamble Value Offset 652 0 0 720 720 FEC Error Correction (T) 0 5 5 6 8 FEC Codeword Information Bytes (k) 16 34 34 78 220 Scrambler Seed 338 338 338 338 338 Maximum Burst Size 0 0 0 23 255 Guard Time Size 8 48 48 8 8 Last Codeword Length Fixed Fixed Fixed Short Short Scrambler on/off On On On On On

Cable Modem Operation Configuration

Network Access : Allowed Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 0 Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 0 Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 0 Maximum Number of CPEs : 1 Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Enabled

Cable Modem Event Log

First Time Last Time Counts Level ID Text Thu Oct 09 20:43:26 2008 Thu Oct 09 20:43:26 2008 1 Warning (5) 68010300 DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response

Reply to
Ant

On 10/10/2008 12:14 AM, Ant sent:

This log entry seems rather cryptic. I'm wondering if your DHCP lease was up for renewal, and it initially failed?

Does this coincide with any other connection failures at the same time?

Reply to
1PW

Nope. At that time, I didn't see any disconnections. AND is that clock even accurate? I remember my old Terayon modem was inacccurate with its time. I think it was like a few hours off. I haven't figured out the pattern for this one.

Reply to
Ant

Last one unless you guys want me to post more. I think I got a good snapshot of the logs now that I have a script to view cable modem's Web pages at every minute (can't do second or else cable modem blocks my http requests and I have to manually power cycle the modem).

Running script showed this when connection was working and then got disconnected again (no route to host; previous disconnetion was at about

12:41 AM PDT):

... Sun Oct 12 15:31:17 PDT 2008 Sun Oct 12 15:32:18 PDT 2008 ELinks: No route to host ELinks: No route to host ELinks: No route to host (my modem didn't respond and I got disconnected from the Internet) ELinks: No route to host ELinks: No route to host ELinks: No route to host Sun Oct 12 15:33:18 PDT 2008 Sun Oct 12 15:34:03 PDT 2008 ^C (I aborted it once I got the logs)

Reply to
Ant

On 10/12/2008 04:24 PM, Ant sent:

Your experiences with a direct [Computer Ethernet Cable Modem] connection would still be very valuable information.

Good luck.

Reply to
1PW

Yep, that's my next plan. Just don't have the time. I want to try another router first so I don't have to wait so long and take other people offline. :>

Reply to
Ant

About 30 minutes ago, I got another one of those (don't know if it is related to the quick disconnections):

Cable Modem Event Log First Last Counts Level ID Text Time Time DHCP Tue Oct Tue Oct RENEW

14 14 Warning WARNING 14:16:03 14:16:03 1 (5) 68010300 - Field 2008 2008 invalid in response
Reply to
Ant

The more I think about this, the more I believe this is a DHCP lease expiring and needing renewal. This is probably not a serious error but merely a warning message in passing.

Reply to
1PW

OK. I checked again, same exact messages. Nothing new there. Thanks.

It looks like I will be getting an old and used Linksys BEFSX41 4-port firewall router this Saturday to test my quick disconnet issue. It was bundled with Norton Internet Security 2003 CD, so I assume it is about five years old.

Reply to
Ant

It's almost a 100% guarantee that you will require a firmware update. You may wish to research this and try to determine the present firmware level and what's available.

Reply to
1PW

Yea. I noticed the latest one is from 2007. That's amazing compared to my old Netgear RT311. Its latest firmware is v3.25 from 5/4/2001.

Reply to
Ant

Alrighty, I finally got the old Linksys BEFSX41 router hooked up, upgraded (Firmware Version: 1.52.15), and online.

I just missed another quick disconnection about an hour ago before I swapped the routers. I will have to wait about another 12-15 hours for the next one). Let's see how this one goes. If this router still has the quick disconnections, then I am going back to my old Netgear router (will sve Linksys one for later when my old Netgear finally dies :P).

Does anyone know how to let my Internet IP address be pingable from the outside? I can't seem to find the option to set that (way more configurations than my old Netgear RT311). I wan't able to find it via Google search (all internal pings).

Thank you in advance. :)

-- "Bother," said Winnie the Pooh, as the ants devoured him. /\\___/\\ / /\\ /\\ \\ Phil/Ant @

formatting link
(Personal Web Site) | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL):
formatting link
\\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.netANT ( ) or snipped-for-privacy@zimage.com Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.

Reply to
Ant

I think it's on page 25 of the user guide, where they talk about the items on the Security tab. Disable the option called Block WAN Requests.

Reply to
Bill M.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.