Question about changing MAC address

I don't want to use someone else's MAC address. What I'd like to do is generate a new unused MAC address that I can use with Comcast. I suppose it may get issued by the cable modem manufacturer eventually, but until it does, I'd like to use it. The reason I want to do this is because I've had to replace several cable modems over the years and I try to buy them cheap on Ebay. Sometimes Comcast won't let me use a modem I buy because the previous owner owed money. My preference for a modem that will let me generate a unique useable MAC address would be a SB5100. Please let me know if this would be possible using a jtag cable or some other way. Thanks

Reply to
Marco
Loading thread data ...

You asked if it's possible. The answer is yes, with a jtag cable and the proper software. Been there, done that. The rest is up to you.

Reply to
Bill M.

Thank you Bill M. Can you tell me how to generate a serial number for the modem? Is there software or a script that will do this?

Reply to
Marco

Sorry, that part is up to you. Good luck.

Reply to
Bill M.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.