Problems with ssh, sftp on Motorola SBG 900

I am using Motorola SBG 900 cable modem for past few months. I have not been able to use ssh, sftp protocols through this cable modem. For example, programs like putty, winscp3 on Windows don't run at all. Same is true o the linux side(no response to ssh, sftp etc.) Any help/suggestion to get this things work will be gretaly appreciated.

Reply to
mssm
Loading thread data ...

The modem reportedly includes an "advanced firewall" and WEP security. WEP should not be an issue, but the firewall might be - it is user-configureable. The settings should be available in the WEB access http://192.168.0.1 or whatever IP address the user manual specifies.

This might offer some assistance (via Google: firewall ssh)

formatting link
Q

Reply to
Quaoar

Does the modem contain any sort of firewall? If so, is port 22 mapped through the the target computer?

Reply to
Tom Stiller

appreciated.

mapped

Yes, it has firewall and can be configured manually. I didn't look at the advanced set up but in basic set up I set it to medium security level. What is meant be 'port 22 mapped through the target computer'?

On this modem there is another option available , called Gateway configuration which has an option called 'Port Forwarding'. There are some built-in option, like https etc. but no ssh. It has to be set manually. I can do that but the only confusion is that it is asking for a LAN IP address. Which address should I use?

Reply to
mssm

The default port for SSh traffic is 22 so, in order for traffic from the internet to "see" your computer, the firewall must permit traffic on port 22 through. Your modem's gateway configuration allows you to forward a port (e.g. 22) to one of the machines on your side of the firewall, specified by its IP address.

I don't know this particular modem, but the general rule for port forwarding is that the IP address of the target machine must be fixed, as opposed to assigned by DHCP. If these terms are unfamiliar to you, I suggest you read through the modem's documentation.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for your explanation. Yes, these terms are familiar to me. Tonight, I shall check the firewall configs. of my modem. For LAN IP address, I was confused about which address to use --- the one assigned by DHCP or the static one.

Reply to
mssm

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.