Problem with cable modem and Win XP moving from comcast to new ISP

Have a strange problem that seems to reside with the users XP config.

User machines: will pull DHCP IP on wired ethernet (Cisco sw, Foundry rtr), will NOT pull DHCP IP on MTL Surfboard cable modem when running WinXP, but will when FreeBSD is patrially installed from CD.

Looked at packet traces and the DHCP packets look fine, but her machine doesn't seem to be recognized by the cable modem. The DHCP transaction starts with her machine, but there is no response. Her driver reports no pakcets recieved. Even placed a linksys rtr in between and still see the same problem. Other laptops seem fine, work with no problems.

Anyone hear of a user having issues moving from CM ISPs and interoperability issues from some piece of software installed?

Someone mentioned this to me, but having trouble finding right result from google.

Reply to
Benrand
Loading thread data ...

You description sounds different but the usual problem is cable modem will not talk to anyone else execpt the mac seen on powerup. If it were me, I would o verify doze box is set to get dhcp, o power all equipment down, including cable modem o wait for one minute by your watch, o power up cable modem and wait for leds to settle down to about normal o power up the equipment on the wire from the cable modem o then power up any remaining equipment.

Reply to
Bit Twister

Thanks for the reply, been through it more than a few times.

Reply to
Benrand

Well, I just found it. There was a QoS protocol enabled on her driver,

802.1p, that, I guess, the regular wired ethernet network didn't care about but our cmts did.

Was a head scratcher.

Reply to
Benrand

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.