Power Levels on Motorla 5100?

Just wondering what type of power levels I should be seeing on this modem. I've been having major slowdown and disconection problems over the past few days and Charter recommended a new splitter (I only have

1). Got a real good one (expensive at least) and still occasionally have problems. Here's what I have when I go to 192.168.100.1, are these normal levels or is something out of whack? If something is wrong, what is a possible cause?

Frequency: 657000000 Signal to Noise Ratio: 27 dB Power Level: -18 dB

Channel ID: 1 Frequency: 32000000 Hz Ranged Power Level: 50 dBmV

Reply to
Scott Henrichs
Loading thread data ...

These are not good numbers. For recommended power and SN levels, see . I suggest you test the connection without the splitter. If there's little improvement, open a case with Charter. I found that a Monster

2-way 5-1000MHz splitter reduced the downstream power level on my SB5100 by only a few dB.
Reply to
Neill Massello

Your download level is VERY low. +15 to -15 is recommended. SNR should be 30+. I'm surprised it works at all. Your uplink (the 50 db) is acceptable (less than 55 is OK.)

Exactly how is the setup between where your cable comes in and to the modem? Are you using RG6 or better cable wherever possible? At the worst, you might need a broadband compatible (bidirectional) amplifier. Also, minimize connectors whenever possible. Try to run one cable, and not chain mulitple cables together. Each connection introduces a bit of loss and noise. Wherever possible, loosen/tighten any connections, especially any that may not have been changed in awhile. This can sometimes help in getting a clean connection.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

I'm back. So I tried connecting the cable modem directly (no splitters, only a foot of coax) from wall jack to modem and came up with somewhat better numbers:

Signal to Noise: 28 (was 27) Downstream Power: -13 (was -18) Upstream Power: 43 (was 50)

So does this sound like my coax line (or splitter, but I tried replacing that without help) was the problem? I have about 30-35 feet from the place where the cable comes in the apartment to where my computer is.

How should I stretch this length? I guess coax isn't working, so should I go wireless or cat5? Wireless still seems a bit expensive, but if thats the best way to go, I can live with it.

Thanks for the help,

-Scott

Andrew Rossmann wrote:

Reply to
Scott Henrichs

__

Hmm... here are my readings:

S/N: 32 dB Down: -6.88 dBmV Up: 31.75 dBmV

As you do need coaxial cable between your outlet and the modem, you can "stretch" this by either changing the cable or by splicing the extra length via an in-line connector. I prefer getting (or building) a high quality cable as the in-line couplers do introduce some loss.

But then, why not just leave the modem near the cable outlet and install, a router? You can then run Cat5 cable or better yet, use WiFi to bridge the gap. I ran Cat5 in my house... but that was when WiFi was in its infancy. I now use both Cat5 and WiFi (visiting friends, family, etc.). Properly secured (WPA, no broadcast, fixed MAC addresses, etc.), it's pretty much safe.

--------------------- The Traveler Oceanside, California

Reply to
The Traveler

This depends on how the provider has their RF combinig scheme setup. If they have 4 to 1 nodes in one RF combiner to an upstream, 32dB may be hard to acheive if a large number of homes past exist on each node. If they run

2 to 1, then yes, 32 is a good figure. It all depends on how many nodes (and homes per node) are combined per upstream port.

Higher the SNR the better, but then again, equipment costs money as well. Trying to fit the right number of homes and nodes per upstream is a strategy, and also depends if you have multiple CMTS's or just using one.

Acceptable area is +24dB and greater.

True. Although, if your downstream has a good CN (Carrier to Noise), you can work down -20dBmv; but again this is rare, but -15dBmv is a good breaking point (400MHz - 800Mhz)

good values. Although -35 is kinda low, most shhot for +40 - +49dBmv on the upstream (27MHz - 40Mhz)

Reply to
Egress

You should be splitting the cable modem off the 1st drop from the pole.

SNR should be around 32dB downstream can range anywhere from -15dB to +15dB anything past that call your provider. upstream should be around -35 to -45 dBmV

try

formatting link
and find your provider.

Reply to
K2NNJ

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.