PING stops working

i am having a problem with PING commands suddenly not working (returning nothing but "request timed out"). the connection itself is fine -- i can browse the internet, send/retrieve email, do FTPs, whatever -- it's just the PING command that won't work. if i power reset the modem or the router, PINGs will start working again. but after several hours, inevitably they start failing. what could be causing this?

relevant hardware is a Motorola SURFBoard modem and Linksys BEFSR41 router, ISP is Charter.

Reply to
lee hite
Loading thread data ...

What site(s) are you pinging?

Does ping work locally - other pc's, the router, the cable modem?

Many sites block ping. Try pinging

formatting link
... they don't block ping.

Reply to
riggor99999

google, yahoo, various others -- the issue isn't sites blocking pings, as i can ping them fine for a while and then all of a sudden the pings stop working -- across the board. i reset the router or modem, and they immediately go back to working.

yes, when this happens pings still work on the LAN side. it's only on the internet side that they stop.

Reply to
lee hite

ok, i'm game. which ones should i look at? the router is brand new and i'm pretty sure the only setting i changed on it was the IP address of the router itself. what setting would cause PINGs to work sometimes and not others?

Reply to
lee hite

You can try the FAQs for your router at the vendor's support site.

Reply to
Quaoar

"lee hite" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

< yes, when this happens pings still work on the LAN side. it's only on

In my opinion you should take a look at your routersettings, not at the modem.

Reply to
Jan

nothing there that's relevant at all.

Reply to
lee hite

turns out is was the router. i switched it out and the problem disappeared. then went back to the original router, and within 12 hrs the original problem re-appeared. why a router would do that, i have no idea -- but there you are.

is it just me, or does Linksys just make poor products? seems like i have problems with a lot of their routers.

Reply to
lee hite

Linksys and Netgear are arguably the top performers in the SOHO router space, and have been for at least several years, so it might just be you. Your bad luck, I mean. :)

Reply to
Bill M.

yeah, i suspected as much. guess i need to work on my router karma. :)

Reply to
lee hite

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.