Optimum Online, speed?

Hi, everybody.

I'm moving to New Jersey (Bergen County) in a couple of months.

When I was there on a visit, I saw an ad for Optimum Online on cable TV. I visited the web site tonight, but couldn't find any hard figures.

Claims like "150 times faster than dial-up" and "three times faster than DSL" don't do much for me...

Where I live right now, I can get 20 Mbps on ADSL... so could I really expect to get 60 Mbps with Optimum Online?

Beef.

Reply to
Beef
Loading thread data ...

Isn't most DSL under 1 Mb ? Like maybe 768/128 average and for an extra $10 you can get 1.5/384. I've seen 6.0/768 for $100.

Reply to
$Bill

That depends entirely on the deals offered by the ISP. I was recently involved in setting up some, that are 3 Mb /768 Kb. Some ISPs offer more than one service level. Of course those further from the CO may not be able to get the higher rates.

Reply to
James Knott

To the best of my understanding, ADSL tops out at 6mbps, and that requires CLOSE proximity to the local office (or DSLAM). Somehow, I suspect the OP has a mistaken impression about the speed he has.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

I have OOL in NW NJ.

I get 8517 kbps down and 907 up. That's about average. Rarely ever are there any outages, unless a really bad storm comes through.

Reply to

I'm happy with their speed, but it doesn't seem to be as fast as Road Runner was when I could be a Time Warner Customer. Still, overall, their triple play is a great deal and works as advertised.

It's been a while since I did a speed test, but as memory served, it resulted in downstream speeds of between 3-4 megabits a second.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

I feel sorry for you but welcome to the People Repubic of New Jermany. I hope you have an incessant influx of wealth because there's certain to be in incessant outflow you'll experience once you've moved here.

NFW! I'm running OOL's "speedometer" check and it says 4229Kbps. That's not going outside their network either.

OOL is problematic as well. I was just about to respond back to the OOL support (as their email said the problem would be fixed in 3 days and it is now past the 3 days ad problem still exists) when I spied your post in news.

FWIW, I've been trying to get OOL to fix an issue since last November!

Reply to
VAXman-

And of course, that's only the speed to the DSLAM. After that, it's a shared network. On the ADSL systems I was working on, there are 448 ADSL lines (14 DSLAMs @ 32 lines each), sharing 2 DS3s, for a maximum bandwidth of about 90 Mb/s, less ATM overhead (~15%). This means that if the bandwidth were shared equally among all 448 users, they'd each have only about 170 Kb/s.

Reply to
James Knott

It seemed like a nice place when I came over for a visit. You think everything is expensive there? I don't know. Maybe I was just looking at cheap things, or maybe I have simple tastes ;-)

Does "NFW" mean "I really doubt that"?

I'm moving to NJ from France. Over here, the big cities (Paris, Lyon, Lille, Marseille) have had ADSL, then ADSL2, now ADSL2+ . Speeds started out at 512Kbps, sure, and climbed up a notch every six months or so until we're now at the point where your bandwidth really only depends on how far you are from the switches in the exchange.

I went on Cegetel's website, which makes this claim of "up to 20 Mbps", and typed in my phone number. The site checks the distance to the exchange, and comes back with a theoretical speed of 16 to 20 Mbps.

I tried again with my in-laws number. They live in a small town 40 miles from Paris. I got the figure of 2 to 5 Mbps.

Do you have a minimum 12 month or 24 month contract, to get a slightly better rate? Most FAIs here advertise a rate (say ?14.99 per month) and when you read the small print, that's if you sign for a 24 month contract. To get out before that time, you have penalties (like ?4 per month up to the end of the contract).

Or you have a big ad, 4m × 3m, with a great big ?9.99 splashed across it. Then, in much smaller writing you can only see read from 1m away, it says "for the first 6 months, then ?19.99 qfter thqt, for q minimum 36 month contract".

Many people, when locked into a contract like that, just accept flimsy and technical sounding excuses, and give the FAI as much time as it takes to sort out a problem. So there's no pressure, and the money keeps rolling in...

Beef.

Reply to
Beef

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.