Optimum Online blocking outgoing requests to port 25/SMTP

I don't know if OO made this public, but they are blocking outgoing port 25 (SMTP). This means that if you use another mail server (your own domain, etc), you need to change the port number ON THE SERVER. Otherwise, it'll appear that the mail server just doesn't respond.

Hope that helps some people!

Mike Scovetta

Reply to
Michael Scovetta
Loading thread data ...

I take it that you mean Optimum Online is blocking 'inbound' port 25? To a server that you run on your home computer? Did it occur to you that, maybe, they are trying to tell you something? Read their AUP/TOS; pay special attention to their requirements for running servers. BTW, changing the incoming port to something other than port 25 will only work if the remote server also uses that port.

Most often, though, ISPs are blocking port 25 outbound. In this case, you can't just change your client to use any port other than 25. You need to know which alternate port, if any, your mail service has set up for email submissions, and set your local client to use that port.

Reply to
NormanM

Yes Cablevision is..

My friend had is cable modem installed by a CV tech. The tech spent 3 hours trying to get email to work. The tech had no idea what the problem was.

It turns out that cablevision did not tell there techs about it either. When I talked to the tech he said their help desk did not know either.

Reply to
EL

Actually no, I actually *did* mean OUTBOUND port 25. I expected inbound ports to be blocked (currently, they block 80, 8080, 135-137, and a few others). But the strange part is that they do not let me, from my home computer, connect to another mail server (lets say, in Ohio), on port 25.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Scovetta

I have debugged the problem, and Cablevision has in fact begun blocking SNMP SYN packets that originate from an end user. This implies that you can't set up a mail server at home, but also that you can't use the mail server at your business to send mail.

To me, this implies that 1000s of people will no longer be able to work at home, at least if they have to retrieve and answer their email at home with their business identity. Sounds like a strong case for "business DSL", as ugly as that sounds.

Note that this only seems to be the case on residential OO, as business OO doesnt have the problem. So it seems that cablevision has purposely blocked SNMP. Considering the bunch of buffoons they have working there, its not impossible that they simply don't understand that they are blocking more than just spammers, but also most of their customer base except for little old ladies who are happy with an optonline email address. Hopefully they won't learn the hard way as they did when 100,000 customers switched to direct TV to watch the Yankees. Its the best move I ever made, and this may be the last straw to getting that ugly black cable off of my house for good.

Reply to
Jamie

What does reading mail from a POP3 account or forwarding mail to your ISP from your business account have to do with sending email through your business account ?

1) you should still be able to retrieve email from your work account and 2) you can send email from your ISP account (although you may prefer not to have your personal account known to your business contacts).

You could also set up a relay on your business account to forward your email after replacing the from with the business from addr using a special forwarding email address.

Reply to
$Bill

Or it makes the case of using a third party proxy server. Note that if you change the port of the mail server from 25 to anything else (other than 80, 8080, etc), it works fine. At least for me, they don't examine the packets, just the port number.

Reply to
Michael Scovetta

Of course I meant SMTP here....

Reply to
Jamie

There may be ways around it, such as ssh or vpn or even just using a different port number.

Reply to
James Knott

I don't think the issue is how to get over the fence, its why is there a fence in the first place...its inappropriate

Reply to
Jamie

Many ISPs are doing the same thing -- they don't want e-mail comming from their network without going through their e-mail servers where they can easily monitor it to shut down spammers and other low-lifes.

-Larry Jones

From now on, I'm devoting myself to the cultivation of interpersonal relationships. -- Calvin

Reply to
lawrence.jones

However, it's easy enough to bypass. For example, with my VPN, I can connect to my ISPs mail from anywhere I can connect to the internet, provided I'm not behind a firewall that blocks my VPN. If necessary, I can use any TCP or UDP port for my VPN, to get through.

Reply to
James Knott

Yep. It's just a bit of a nuisance for people with a legitimate need (or want) to use a different mail server, but it's a serious hindrance to a spammer who wants to use a bunch of unprotected computers on the ISP's network as anonymous mail relays.

-Larry Jones

There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want. -- Calvin

Reply to
lawrence.jones

A company shouldnt need a VPN for every one of its employees for them to answer their mail at home.

The justification for this is just as stupid as having a curfew at darkness to cut down on crime. It might work but its assinine and shows the technical incompetence of Optonline. Of course seeing what cablevision has done with the knicks, rangers and the Wiz, its no surprise that they can't do anything right.

Its easy enough to block the SMTP port when you see unreasonable patterns (like more than 2 sends per minute, or 10 in 10 minutes, etc). There are cheap, simple tools that can do this. There's no reason to be a birdbrain just because you're an ISP. Unfortunately that seems to be the trend.

Reply to
Jamie

There's also the matter of the security of internal company documents to worry about. If you access the company mail server directly over the internet, the corporate mail is open for interception. A vpn, ssl or ssh should always be used for remote access. Mail via ssl uses different ports from standard smtp or pop and might not be blocked by the ISP.

Reply to
James Knott

I applaud it. If they're going to permit PeeCees and Weendoze with all it's flaws and security holes to blindly connect then, turn off access to the ports which these toys can be coerced into abusing.

Now, if only all of the other DSL/Cable services which permit these wintendo boxes to connect would do the same.

Reply to
VAXman-

Try

formatting link
It will let you connect to your own SMTP server by redirecting the request through a higher port. The detailed explanation is on the website.

-Tom

Reply to
Thomas Zielinski

I discovered this rather abruptly. One day it worked. Next day it didn't. I use optonline for Internet access but use my Verizon email account always (I also have Verizon DSL). I use Eudora and changed the outgoing mail server to the optonline server so I can still send email from xxx.verizon.net It's a hassle though because I'll have to switch back to the Verizon outgoing mail server when I'm anywhere else. (Eudora has personalities - different settings - so it's not too bad.) It seems to work for now...

Reply to
Shermane Austin

"permit" these windows boxes to connect. These "windows" boxes are what created the cheap market which allow you to cheaply and freely express your ridiculous ideas, Vaxman. Get a clue.

Freedom has annoyances. Like I said, there are easy ways to stop criminals without having to block ports. ISPs are not regulated, and most of them (particularly in non-metropolitan areas) are renegade techies who are the last people that I would want handling my mail. ISPs resell bandwidth, they should have no power to dictate what you do with that bandwidth. If they arent smart enough to have the mechanisms in place to make sure you don't use more bandwidth than you're paying for (regardless of what services you may be using), then they should try selling shoes or something else. The last thing we need is for "some guy who knows how to put up an antenae" to decide what mail I get or don't get. If you choose to buy mail services from them then they can have their own policies. But if you just buy bandwidth, and they have a monopoly in providing the service, their "rights" should take second place to to that of the consumer.

Reply to
Jamie

That's right, Weendoze saved the world. We should erect statues to the Emperor Bill and his criminal cult miniscule-n-flaccid(tm). Why don't YOU get a clue? What a f****it.

It's not about bandwidth you clueless f****it. Even one preventable SPAM or virus laden email is too much to let go by. If you use your provider's backbone, you use your provider's servers for HTTP proxy, email, etc. Case closed. If you don't like it, get yourself a T1 service like I have.

Reply to
VAXman-

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.