OK, my connection problems baffle me

So I was doing ok until a couple weeks ago. I'm on Charter Pipeline with my own modem. So a couple weeks ago, all of a sudden I started having major slowdowns (to dialup speeds) and even frequent disconnections for an hour at a time. I try connecting direct to the cable connection, avoiding the splitter that I have for my tv connection, and things work a little better, still a bit slow, but with no connection problems. Well I narrowed the problem down to what I thought was my 50 foot strand of coax. I replaced it with 50 feet of ethernet. Things worked ok the past few weeks, no disconnects but still *very* slow (dial up speeds on cable).

Well here's the baffling thing. This morning I'm disconnected. Just get a flashing online light on the modem. Well I try connecting right to the cable coming into the house and *WOW*, I'm getting 20x faster than at any point in the past few weeks. What the heck is going on? I've replaced the coax, and the splitter, and those never solved the problems in the past. Now all of a sudden I avoid the new coax and splitter (which didn't help much before) and I'm getting super speeds again? What's the problem?

Reply to
Scott Henrichs
Loading thread data ...

Unless you can measure signal and noise levels and able to reproduce failure points, who can say.

Look at the variables, cmt to cable through line amps to pole splitter, shared by neighbors, cable drop to house, splitters cable to modem.

You screwing/unscrewing connctors making wallplug work better/worse?

Cat/dog using wall cable as play toy.

Better connection this time at cable modem or any end of any connector you caused to move while hunting problem.

Squirrel caused worse/better pole connection playing on cable.

Line amp temps causing it to vary or was replaced.

Neighbor hooking noisy tv to cable causing problems until line tech traced him down and added filter.

Your cable modem being programmed to differnet levels due to perceived values received at cmt .......

Looking at my modem at ip address http://192.168.100.1 I have noted these values right after the tech installed the modem. Those became my reference point as to the condition of my connection to the cmt.

Downstream DOCSIS Motorola SURFboard sb4220 Upstream Frequency 639000000 Hz Locked Channel ID 1 Signal to Noise Ratio 33 dB Frequency 19504000 Hz Ranged QAM 64 Ranging Service ID 2666 Network Access Control Object ON Symbol Rate 3.200 Msym/s Power Level -1 dBmV Power Level 39 dBmV

What goes wrong with the physical network without animal help. Conductors shrink/expand/corrode/lose/allow water in at the connection.

What happens when cable and/or connectors are moved at connection points. Make/break conductor and connection gets better/worse.

As I play with each connector, I check values before and after screwing with something to fault isolate a problem.

If messing with connectors is no help, then start cable swapping and checking web page.

Reply to
Bit Twister

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.