NOT GETTING IP ADDRESS FROM ROUTER THROUGH WAP

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 that is acting as a DHCP server. I've got a

3Com OfficeConnect Wireless 11g Access Point hooked-up to the router. It has a static IP address.

Though my wireless clients can connect to the WAP, none of my wireless devices are receiving an IP address from router. Why is DHCP not being relayed?

Reply to
raydlevel5
Loading thread data ...

Confirmed, the 3Com WAP is not acting as a DHCP server. But DHCP is enabled on the Linksys router. There are no "DHCP Relay" options on the WAP to enable or configure. Why wouldn't wireless clients pick up an IP address from the router?

Reply to
raydlevel5

Yes I have told the WAP to obtain an IP automatically - the router seems to assign IP addresses through the WAP okay that way.

But I would much rather assign a static IP address to the 3Com WAP. There is a section in the setup that allows me to specify that, the subnet, and a gateway.

Since the WAP and Router are all on the same subnet, and point to the same gateway .... I just can't understand why the wireless clients can't soak up an IP.

On a side note -- If I assigned static IP's (including subnet, GW, and DNS information} to the wireless clients, they still wouldn't get to the internet.

Reply to
raydlevel5

That depends on what the IP address is: one you assigned or one an ISP assigned.

Are you sure the AP is not acting as a DHCP server too?

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Have you tried letting the AP get IP from the Linksys?

Then IT can act as gateway to the wireless clients.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Is the WAP static IP in the same range as the DHCP server's IPs??!!

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.