new @ networking

hi all... i hv 2 machines which i wish to network one of then has an internet connection using USB ADSL WAN modem... Rhine III fast ethernet adapter installed... and the other one has realtech family pc fast ethernet adapter installed... i wanted to know...if i have to install another NIC for the computer with USB ADSL modem...does the modem use a nic...also please suggest minimal hardware which i would be needing to network the two machines reply asap Thanks in advance. Aditi Sharma

Reply to
Aditi
Loading thread data ...

A Netgear router should be equally as good - but I would stick to one of those two both for price and quality. One or the other should be on sale for $30 at one of the local electronic/office stores and that's for a wireless router with a 4-port switch onboard. Just check Sunday's paper (which should be available now in your supermarket) and look for Netgear/Linksys routers (you can probably get a wireless for the same price or cheaper than a wired one on sale these days). Check CompUSA, Circuit City, BestBuy, OfficeMax, Office Depot and Staples ads. One of them will have one or both on sale and $30 is cheap for what you're getting (that may be after rebates of course). All you should need is the router and two 8-16' ethernet jumper cables for a couple of bucks each.

Reply to
$Bill

I suggest picking up a router, Linksys for example, that includes a built-in 4-port switch. Connect the ADSL modem to the WAN port of the router and connect each of the PC's Ethernet connections to a switch port on the LAN side of the router. Forget USB and multiple NIC's. You'll be networked in minutes.

Reply to
Bill M.

great information...thanks a tonn...i will give you some more trouble in future.:-p Thanks again Aditi

Reply to
Aditi

Networking Resources:

formatting link
Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
formatting link
How-to: Simple 2 Computer Network wo/hub
formatting link
How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
formatting link
The ideal way is to get a router/gateway like D-Link, Belkin, Netgear, Linksys, etc. Belkin & Netgear are available at any Staples outlet.) It provides a firewall on the WAN side to protect your shared files, it will allow you to share the internet connection, it will negotiate the PPPoE or other type of IP connection automatically (you don't need ANY connection software anymore), and doesn't cost much more than a good firewall.

Tiger Direct has D-Link - DI-604 - 4-Port Cable/DSL Router for $13.99

If the above link broke, use

formatting link

Reply to
Unk

Just checked the paper and found:

BestBuy: Netgear WGR6114NA Wireless G router with 4-port switch $30 - no rebates needed D-Link DI-524 Wireless G router (switch ?) $60-40 in rebates = $20

CompUSA has a Hawking wireless router for $10 after rebates (I have no experience with Hawkings).

Personally, I would go for the Netgear even if you don't need wireless at the moment (you may later and then you'll already be ready for it). No rebates to mail in either.

Reply to
$Bill

You're welcome. In the future, could you please include some of the message you are responding to, in your reply? That way, all can benefit from the solution. (Tools, Options, "Send" tab, check the "Include message in Reply" box.)

Reply to
Unk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.