New High Speed Offering From RoadRunner

It appears that RR will be offering a new tier of broadband - 6Mbps down / 512Kbps up.

Why do you think the upload is so paltry? I'd jump at this in a second if the upload were in the range of 1.5 Mbps, but at 512 Kbps I think I'll pass...

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C
Loading thread data ...

That is in line with the average speeds offered by broadband suppliers. Cable systems are oriented to sending data TO homes, and not getting it FROM them so their hardware is engineered in the download direction. Bandwidth back is not adequate for speeds over 768kbps in most cases. Compare this with 30mbps, or more, in the download direction and you will see that the issue is infrastructure. Most users will receive vastly more than they will send. Average users download 10 times as much as they upload, so the figures are well in line with normal usage patterns.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Having escaped, in tact, from the Democratic Convention, Agent_C inked:

You CAN get 1 meg, maybe faster, from RR on their business service.

Of course, cost is about $700 a month.

Reply to
Never anonymous Bud

I agree, but that doesn't do anything for those of us (the majority at this point), who use older infrastructure. The city just north of me is putting in 'fiber to the door', and if it proves PROFITABLE, it might spread south. But it will take longer than I probably have remaining.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

With video IM and, gaming and the like, this "browser mentality" is rapidly changing. Video chat rapidly gets choked with poor upstream bandwidth.

It seems than several new outfits with fiber to the door are adopting a symmetric approach. A friend of mine in CA has a 10Mb symmetric connection, with a monthly transfer limit before throttling bandwidth. The limit is direction agnostic and tiered pricing. Entry level is 40G receive+transmit/mo. One town in my state deployed their own symmetric broadband service.

The same outfit sells digital telephone service (not VoIP) which is clearly symmetric.

Hopefully, any new deployments will think forward, not backward.

gerry

Reply to
gerry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.