network path not accesible

Hi All Another problem in networking. I am networking two windows xp machines I have done it before so I guess the settings and configration is right I have made sure that they are on the same workgroup but I cannot view then in the same work group nor can I search them in the network However I can ping each of them from the other end. I have disabled the firewall I was using. Please suggest what could be the problem. Regards Aditi.

Reply to
Aditi
Loading thread data ...

Yes i have shared folders and i cannot see any of the computers in the workgp by \\\\ also

Reply to
Aditi

Have you marked any folders or drives to be Shared?

John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones

formatting link
Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
formatting link
How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
formatting link
Make damn sure you're behind a firewall, else everyone on the internet will also have access to your files too.

Test what you're giving away.

formatting link

Reply to
Unk

Aditi,

If the firewall is truly disabled (and don't bet on that), then a browser conflict is the best bet here. Check for browser conflicts with browstat. Read these articles for instructions:

Reply to
Chuck

please let me know how could i check if my firewall is properly disabled or not... and when i ran browstat utility it says "there is one server on this domain " and "network browsing is enabled" .I want to bring ur notice to the fact that i can ping each of my pc from the other end and i can even access the files of comp2 from comp1 . but not the other way round. Regargs Aditi

Reply to
Aditi

Aditi,

This is a peer help forum. We can try and help you, but you'll have to help us to help you.

Since we can't sit in front of your computer, you have to do the detailed examination. Here is my troubleshooting guide, which lists all of the possible causes of your problem, of which I know. You have to examine each one, one by one, and fix if applicable. Remember, you could have multiple problems, all contributing to your condition. Sometimes, different problems might mask identification of other problems.

Or provide the diagnostics here, as listed in this article (which you could have found from the browstat article):

Now to the firewall issue, I don't know what firewall you have, so I can't really say. Many times, you have to either un install a firewall, or re enable and properly configure it, to get it to work properly. Disabling personal firewalls is not always a productive solution.

Reply to
Chuck

Hi all! I think I should expalin my problem clearly so here I go... I have two machines running windows xp home. Although I am a noob but I had networked them previously as well and got it working fine after a few initial hitches. then I had to format one of my machine and hence ran the network configuration wizard once again configuring every property as i had done previously. I am using a direct crossover cable to connect COMP1->COMP2. COMP1 will be my ICH. Configured the ip addresses manually COMP1 192.168.0.1 COMP2 192.168.0.2 I can ping each other. I can access and search for comp2 from comp1 but I cannot do it otherwise. \\\\comp1 from comp2 gives me an error... I cannot see comp1 in the workgroup from comp2. The firewall I used was windows firewall and zone alarm. I have disabled windows firewall and also zome alarm and my previous network was working fine by changing the trusted zone configuration in zone alarm... however i have tried disabling the firewall as well but it does not help this time. Also I tried to use the browstat utility to chek if it was a browser conflict. it say that browsing is not enabled on domain. The master browser is comp2. I think the last line should be some clue. Aditi

Reply to
Aditi

This is OT for this group.

Set up sharing on comp1. Right click the C: drive and select the sharing tab.

ICS works OK, but you'll be much happier if you purchase a cheap wired router.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Aditi,

I've repeatedly recommended that you read my articles, which will give you some idea what information is needed here, and how to extract and post the exact information needed. Specifically, if you can post the exact and full output from "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", for both computers, we can help you more effectively.

And, as Quaoar says, your whole problem is not on topic for this newsgroup. Since your problem appears to originate with Windows XP networking, you might want to post in microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web. Please read the articles that I provided the links for, so you can provide the details needed.

Reply to
Chuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.