network path not accesible

hi...i m here agin with a problem...i m tryin g to network 2 win xp machines...i set up computer names, workgroups and everything...but wen i try to acces shared folders on one mc from another i get an error...//(computer name) is not accesible you mite not have permission to use this network resource .the network path was not found. please tell me what could be wrong. Aditi

Reply to
Aditi
Loading thread data ...

cant ping the comp2 ...but an icon with its comp2 name exist on the comp1 in the "computers on this workgroup" ...but wen clicked on...error network path not accesible...contact network administrator.

Reply to
Aditi

Have you made a shareable directory or drive on one or both of the machines? Check the Properties Menu for the dir/drive for Share options.

I usually just Map a Drive/Folder rather than make the entire drive accessible to sharing for security's sake.

Also, you need a user on both machines with the same password.

That aside, PC networking can be incredibly frustrating.

Reply to
Jed

Aditi,

This sounds like either a firewall problem, or a browser conflict. This particular scenario is discussed fairly frequently at microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web. Please read each of these articles, and linked articles, as appropriate:

Reply to
Chuck

i m using a direct crosover cable... win xp on both mcs zone alram on comp1 which connects to internet... no firewall on the other mc... got the cables from the market... i hv shared printers and set some folders to be shared the problem is... COMP1->COMP2 comp1 shows comp2 in its work gp...but wen i try to acces it by double clicking it...says network path not accesible...and comp2 does not show comp1 at all in the work gp computers...so i guess the problem is not wiht cable and comp1

Reply to
Aditi

You haven't gone to BestBuy yet and grabbed a router and a couple of stright thru cables ?

Looks like a config issue at the moment. Start looking through the Control Panel Network Connections and fire up a Wizard and see whats going on. Type F1 on the desktop and check out network connections box.

Reply to
$Bill

Double-Click "My Computer", right-click your Drive C, select "Sharing and Security", check the box, "Share this folder", click "Apply", OK. You need to do this on both machines.

How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

formatting link
Windows XP - Tips for Fixing XP File and Printer sharing.txt
formatting link

------------------------------

If either computer has an internet connection, make damn sure that you're using a router with a NAT firewall, or at the very least, Windows firewall active on BOTH machine. If not, all your files will be accessable to anyone on the internet.

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections, Local Area Connections, General tab, Properties button, Advanced tab, and check the box, "Protect my computer and network.... etc", click "OK"

Description of the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall

formatting link
HOW TO: Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP
formatting link
HOW TO: Open Ports in the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
formatting link
Understanding Windows Firewall - Sp2
formatting link

Reply to
Unk

TigerDirect has high shipping $10.67 for this item to my address. You can save the shipping if you can find one locally.

Reply to
$Bill

hey ...but can someone help me with direct cable

Reply to
Aditi

thanks ...i cud find the problem...i was using zonealarm on comp1 ....that was causing the problem. ;-p

Reply to
Aditi

As I suggested in reply your original post, get a router... The built-in NAT firewall will protect your shared files and folders from the internet. Go see how wide open you are...

formatting link
The ideal way is to get a router/gateway like D-Link, Belkin, Netgear, Linksys, etc. Belkin & Netgear are available at any Staples outlet.) It provides a firewall on the WAN side to protect your shared files, it will allow you to share the internet connection, it will negotiate the PPPoE or other type of IP connection automatically (you don't need ANY connection software anymore), and doesn't cost much more than a good firewall.

Tiger Direct has D-Link - DI-604 - 4-Port Cable/DSL Router for $13.99

If the above link broke, use

formatting link

Reply to
Unk

No - you'll thank us later if you get a router. ;)

Reply to
$Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.