Netgear WGR614 router port 3 stopped working after cable installation

Hi: My cable modem, Netgear WGR614 router, two hardwired desktop computers, and wireless laptop were all working well as a system, until I changed a cable on port 3 (going from router to desktop computer). I was using a reliable 14' Cat5e cable, but wanted to test a new 25' one that I just bought. This newer cable is a Belkin SNGLS FASTCAT5e Patch CBL, 4PAIR;RJ45M/M. After plugging in the new 25' cable, after turning everything off, I got no connection between the router and the desktop. So, I plugged back in the reliable 14' cable and still have no connection, even though I did before testing the new cable. In short, I can't get the Port 3 light to go on or get a connection with it. The vendor insists (emphasis added) the cable is okay, saying he has never had a problem with this brand and type of cable. I'm not going to test the cable in another port, because it might disable another one. So, then, I don't know how to test the new cable to see if it is okay. Also, could just adding a different cable change my software configuration somehow? I'm wishing I could restore the use of port 3. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gibby

Reply to
Gibby
Loading thread data ...

You should visually verify that the spring wire leads inside the JACK of port 3 were not damaged or bent out of alignment. They're pretty fragile, actually.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

************************************************ Gene: Thank you for your suggestion. I took a looksee and from merely a visual, everything looks in alignment and nothing bent. Gibby
Reply to
Gibby

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.