Netgear router suddenly slow

I have a 4 year old Netgear RT314 router which has worked perfectly until now. My internet download speed recently dropped from normal 3 megabits to between 4 to 100 kilobits, intermittently. At times normal, at times very slow. I thought it was my ISP until I connected the PC directly to the cable modem. Everything then ran normally, all the time. As soon as I put the router back in, everything slowed again. I reinstalled the router firmware and everything again worked normally, for two days. Then it was back to slow slow. Took out the router and everything back to normal. What is going on and what can I do about it? Is this router dying? Can it be saved? Thank you stvwlf

Reply to
stvwlf-reply
Loading thread data ...

Yes, it could be getting flaky reads and requesting a resend, hence much lower rates. It is usually cheaper to replace it than repair it. Have you tried each port on the router? (assuming it's a 4 port router) (And have you checked for updates to the router firmware?)

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.