Netgear reserved addresses

Netgear WGR614 v.5 wireless router, with latest firmware. I'm trying to set up reserved LAN addresses for three machines. So, under "LAN IP Setup", I followed the directions to do so, giving, e.g., one machine

192.168.1.10, the device name the machine's hostname, and the correct MAC address. I run Linux, so I restarted /etc/init.d/net.eth0. However, upon dhcpc getting an IP from the router, I get, e.g., 192.168.1.4, not .. .10. The router will not allow me to set a reserved address outside the range set under "Use Router as DHCP Server", which is the default, .2 to .51. If anyone has any hints or pointers, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply to
jb_is_not
Loading thread data ...

jb_is snipped-for-privacy@home.now wrote:

I do not understand how the assignment of a reserved address by the router can be handled except as a function of a modified DHCP auto assignment, nor do I understand how this can be a problem. The computer can ask for an auto address or a static address. A static address assigned by the router does exactly what you want except it does not provide assurance that you won't have defined the same static address request for two computers, making address management difficult. If, however, the router can reserve addresses that it knows will be requested via DHCP by given MAC addresses, then there will be assurance that each computer receives a unique address that you define, presuming that the router will check for duplicates when you enter the data. Since the computer requested an address via DHCP, and the reservation in the router was not in the specified DHCP reserved block, I can see why the router would go ahead and assign its own address in the DHCP reserved block and ignore the definition outside of it. Yes, the router programming should have caught your error in definition of the reserved address outside the DHCP block; that it didn't is a firmware programming oversight. Otherwise, I think the router is performing logically as it should. Frankly, given the sorry state of "features" performance in home routers, you are lucky that Netgear implemented at least the basic feature, if not the data entry error checking that would have warned of your request for a reserved address not within the DHCP auto assingment block.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Are you sure that DHCP was even trying to get an IP from the router? If the old lease hasn't expired, it will probably just continue to use it. And if it has expired, it may well try to renew it (which the router may well allow) rather than trying to get a new IP address. You may have to blow away all the cached DHCP info before restarting.

-Larry Jones

I think football is a sport the way ducks think hunting is a sport. -- Calvin

Reply to
lawrence.jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.