MYSQL Servers on Comcast?

X-No-Archive: Yes

I run an small online media company out of Australia, and I run a bulletin board, using phpBB, which requires MySQL to run. I was being bangled on for about 40 minutes today from a Comcast cable modem in Maryland, to the port that I have MySQL running on. I Googled that port and found that connect attempts come from infected MySQL servers that have "MySQL Bot", that scan other machines on port 3306 for MySQL databases with common passwords.

I thought that running a MySQL database server on any Comcast account was outright against the rules, but the probes from that Comcast cable modem in Maryland can only come from an infected MySQL server running on that machine. With all the talk of Comcast terminating bandwidth hogs, you would think that Comcast would be looking for people running bandwidth-guzzling servers, such as MySQL servers.

Reply to
chilly8
Loading thread data ...

If you mean a Residential customer with servers open to internet users, then I'll go along with that statement.

Heheheh, as long as comcast has those low up load speed, they are not the bandwidth-guzzlers you are implying. :)

Reply to
Bit Twister

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.