My wi-fi not working with Adelphia!!

Hi! Ive got a netgear wifi router... have had it for a couple years now. In fact ive got two.. one at work running through a DSL connection with no probs, and my home wifi router has worked fine on my old cable provider (charter communications) for the last few years. Ive just moved and signed up to Adelphia and my netgear wifi doesnt wanna talk to the Adelphia modem. What gives? Is there any tricks I can do? Ive tried inputing my new adelphia username/password into my wifi router, that didnt work. I tried doing no user/pass but cloning the MAC address but that didnt work either. Adelphias tech support didnt seem to want to help me, claiming that they only know about their brands of modems. Fair enough I guess. But they should offer some basic setup techniques since wifi is commonplace now. Ive never had a setup prob until now. I can run my new internet connection direct via ethernet, but not using my wifi.

Also, I have a Vonage router that wont connect to Adelphia either. Ive tried them seperate, together, etc, etc.

PLEASE help if anyone has any good tips! Thanks.

Reply to
mrandrzejak
Loading thread data ...

Many cable modems use DHCP to make the connection. Is you router set up that way?

Many cable modes are set by the cable company to only talk to the device they first see. You can turn it off for a few minutes to clear that setting.

Reply to
DLR

did you set the router back to factory defaults?

I suspect you are still setup for ppoe, and have some other config in there that is for DSL and not for Cable.

Reply to
riggor

I did reset the router to configure it from scratch. Didnt seem to help.

I also checked and its set for DHCP. Adelphia told me I need DHCP. Well, OK. Its set, but still wont work. I read on some forums last night that I need to clone the mAC address since Adelphia verifies the MAC address and doesnt use the Adelphia login/password. Tried all that. Nothing seems to work.

Reply to
mrandrzejak

Reply to
BigJim

BigJim,

I can do a direct ethernet connection from the adelphia modem to my computer no prob. It works and pretty fast. If I introduce my wireless router, thats when things dont work. Ive reset my wifi router and according to Adelphia, I dont even need to put in any login/pass stuff. The wifi router does show the internet light blinking and functioning, but I get nothing when I try to pull up a website. Could it be something in my XP configs? Well, thinking about it, my Vonage VOIP router doesnt work either with Adelphia and I shouldnt even need to set anything in it. Should have worked fine right from the getgo.

Reply to
mrandrzejak

Shut-down your computer, and unplug the power from router and the cable modem. Don't just turn them off because if they even have an on/off switch, it's really just a standby switch, and you want to cut the power to the devices. Walk away for a minute or two. Take a break.

When you come back, plug in the cable modem. Let it sync up. It may take a minute. Once it sync's up, then plug your router back in. It'll sync up quicker than the modem did. Then boot-up your computer.

The key that you've missed is power-cycling your modem. This is an essential step. And the steps need to be done in the right order.

Reply to
Warren

Turn off the modem for 1/2 hour. You shouldn't have to but this will make sure it forgets your computer. When you turn it on plug it into your router. It really sounds like the modem is hanging onto your MAC address.

Reply to
DLR

Warren and DLR saved the day! Thanks guys!

I followed your instructions...never had this prob before, but reseting all my routers (holding the reset button down for a minute) then turning everything off for a few minutes fixed everything. I powered everything on in the order you described and it all works great now! THANKS very much!

Reply to
mrandrzejak

Some folks say a quick power cycle of a modem is all that's needed. And will argue the point. But I keep bumping into situation where a few minutes of downtime are required.

Reply to
DLR

REBOOT THE MODEM! MODEM, NOT Router!

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Your router will only be concerned with the appropriate user name and password for your configuration utility. It has no idea what your personal information for Adelphia is and doesn't care.

As others have pointed out, powercycle both your modem and router and leave them off for a few minutes. Then plug the modem first, followed by your router. Also check your configuration page to make sure you're doing everything that's needed for a DHCP authentication. Many DSL providers don't use it, so that's probably part of your issue.

I understand your frustration with your provider's unwillingness to help you troubleshoot a router issue, but I've never seen one that will. Many will adamently insist any problem is on your end if you merely have a router, even if you know darn well it's their issue.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.