My splitter keeps failing

Hello,

I am having trouble with a Digital splitter that keeps failing and has required replacement 4 times in 2 months. I have Cablevision which splits one time after entering my home. After splitting, one cable goes to my HDTV Digital box for my tv, the other cable goes to my cable modem. While trying to go online, I would get the message "cannot find server." After my original conversation with Cablevision over the phone he advised that I connect my modem directly to the incoming cable, thereby bypassing the splitter and that worked. I immediately replaced the splitter and things were fine. The same thing has now happened four times in 2 months. Is this very unusual and is there something that could remedy this problem??

Reply to
cthiim
Loading thread data ...

Brand of splitter and model ?

Mhz range ?

Digital ?

Db drop per leg and number of legs ? Are all legs the same drop ?

Does it list any of these specs ? : Intermodulation, Isolation, Return Loss, Insertion Loss

Maybe you just need better quality ?

What sort of power levels is your modem showing ?

Reply to
$Bill

Thanks for replying.

Viewsonics brand. One input - two outputs. -3.5 dB for each output.

5-1000 NHz. "2-way Digital Plus Splitter" surge protected. The Cablevision walk in center has given me the same type of splitter each time. When I asked if it was a common problem, the guy told me it wasn't uncommon...The modem lights are all on, not blinking.
Reply to
cthiim

Probably a decent splitter, but I have no experience with that brand.

Are you turning the old one back in ? Maybe they keep giving you one of your bad ones back each time. :)

You could bust your wallet for a couple of dollars and find a different brand and see if it makes a difference.

Here's several at an eBay store:

formatting link

Reply to
$Bill

Make sure the connectors on the cables are good. It could be that by replacing the splitter, you're tightening loose connectors at the same time. Over time, they may could themselves loose.

Not only should the connectors be screwed tightly to the splitter (but not too tight), they need to be properly attached to the coax. It might be worth it to have a cable tech come to your home and replace the connectors, as they (should) use the best connectors and attachment tools.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Thank you all for your advice. I have a Cablevision tech. coming on Tuesday and I will discuss the problem and your suggestions with him. I will let you know what happens. For now, my modem is connected to the main input cable as it enters the house and there is no problem. (except I can't watch TV)

Reply to
cthiim

Hi Marc,

Thank you for your suggestion. I actually realized that I could place my modem in a different room that had an unused cable outlet in the event that there was a leaky current issue like you had described. SUCCESS...it is now working perfectly, despite using one of the previously "faulty" splitters. This new connection is even further downstream (after a 2nd split) and the internet speed seems fine.

Thank you very much for your insight..

Christian

ps-thank you to all that replied

Reply to
cthiim

This is good advice. Also check for a preferential ground condition. This happens when the incoming cable connection is well and properly grounded, but the outlet that the cable modem (or anything connected to it) isn't. Any leaky current then flows to ground through the braided sheath in the cable line and odd things can happen.

Marc

Reply to
M_A_G

Yes, Christian, this IS a nice place to ask for help and advice. 99.99% of the responders will offer you advice, based on what they know or can surmise about your problems.

The odd-ball troll can put a temporary crimp into discussions; however, you quickly learn how to disregard their posts.

Best, George (The Old Fud)

Reply to
George Berger

I had what I thought was possibly a splitter problem. Changing out the splitter would temporarily solve the problem. Turns out it was some sort of intermittent problem with the coax from the splitter to the modem. After I changed that piece the problem disappeared for good. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.