My connection is suddenly very slow

I usually get 200-350 kilobytes per second download and 50 kilobytes per second upload, and for 2 days now I'm lucky if I can get 100K per second download. I checked my connections, they are all fine. I cleared my temp internet files and windows temp, no improvement. Defragged, no improvement. No viruses or spyware of any kind. What could be causing this probmlem? Is there some sort of online test that can see if the line is bad or if the internet in my area is bad? Any programs that do these sort of tests? Thanks for any help. Oh, I am using cable modem on a wireless network, and my ISP is Roadrunner cable internet. I am using Windows XP SP2 on a 3 ghz computer with 2 gigs of RAM.

Reply to
sgtdisturbed
Loading thread data ...

Sorry for double post, it looked like the connection reset so I hit the button twice. ALso, it doesn't stay connected for very long. The disconnection can last up to 2 hours at a time. Is my slow connection having any relation to the loss of connection? I have full bars on my wireless access point, so the signal is strong and constant, and it looks like ai am connected but I can't access anything on the internet and my network here is still ok, I can access files on other computers here still. Thanks for any help. Only knowledgeable replies, please.

Reply to
sgtdisturbed

Only knowledgable posts please. :)

What's your hardware setup look like ? Modem/router brand/model, etc.

Have you/can you access the status page on your modem and checked the power levels ?

Have you done a speed test from one of the better sites ?

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
$Bill

I'm getting the same speed there at dslreports. My router is a Linksys BFSR41, the modem is a 3com somthingorother, it's like 4 years old. Everything is hooked up and running fine. Maybe it's a Windows XP problem? Man this really sux, the connection is crap and barely stays connected, and it's been happening for like 2 weeks now.

Reply to
sgtdisturbed

Have you/can you access the status page on your modem and checked the power levels (assuming 3Com has that capabillity) ?

Reply to
$Bill

WOW speed boost, I found out that the cable company was replacing some stuff around here, to allows faster internet, and WOW, I used to get

200 k a sec on a GOOD day, and now I get 600k a second!! Damn, I feel good now. Ok, disregard this question now.
Reply to
sgtdisturbed

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.