Moving Internet to new room

We have decided to move our high speed internet cable modem to a new room in our house. We have a cable outlet in the new room but was told we need to activate it for the internet rather than the TV before using. Of course, Charter wants to charge us an activation fee and time for the repair person's visit. We want our main computer hooked up directly to the cable rather than the wireless option and we do not want to run ugly cable wire along the walls from the upstairs internet activated cable outlet (where the internet connection is now) to the new room downstairs where we want to reconnect our modem to.

Can we activate the cable ourselves somehow since we already have the service and modem, or do we have to pay these jerks even more money just to move our modem location.

Many thanks

Clyde

Reply to
c_sicker
Loading thread data ...

I don't have charter...but typically - they put a splitter on the cable feed as soon as it enters the house. One feeds the TVs, and one feeds the cable modem. You should not hang the cable modem off the TV runs since it can cause signal problems. You want a dedicated run for the cable modem.

All you need to do - is find the run from the room you want to move to - and re-wire accordingly where it enters the house / all the splitters are. Make that run the direct run.

If you want to watch TV in that room and only have that one run - put a splitter on it in that room - one to the TV and one the cable modem (yes - everyone - I know - not recommended). The ideal choice is to have two diff runs - one for TV and for internet.

You know - wireless would be the way to go - why don't you want wireless?

Reply to
riggor99999

There is no big difference between a "TV" outlet and an "internet" outlet. Typically, the difference is fewer splitters between the outlet and the cable feed. In short, too many splitters are bad for cable modems.

Just try the modem on the "new" outlet. If it works, you're done. If not, you can mess around with the splitters as another poster has suggested.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Technically there isn't; however, as was pointed out before, you don't want the cable modem hooked up to an amplified outlet.

Given that some situations require the TV signal to be amplified, there is de facto a difference between a TV outlet and an internet outlet. In those situations, you can't simply move the cable modem to an outlet that used to service a TV and expect no problems.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I would not be using the TV off this cable outlet, just internet. I do not want to use wireless because sometimes I shut it down when my teenager is banned from the internet due to abuse/misuse of this priviledge.

Reply to
bjweller

I will not be using the TV in the new room, just internet.

BTW, the internet connection upstairs does not have a "splitter" that I can see. It is not wired for both TV and internet service, just internet. He told me at the time I could not use the TV on this connection. Now we want TV in this room and internet downstairs. What would the "splitter" look like in this instance? The cable wire existed when he came to the house and originally set it up for internet service. I can't remember if he replaced the wire. I do not see where he cut the cable (although there is a additional cable leading up to the PC because the original cable was too short.) Could the splitter be inside the wall at the outlet junction? Are there any wewbsites that explain (preferably with diagrams) how to do this?

Reply to
c_sicker

Typically, only one cable is dropped from the pole, or buried in your yard. If you have more than one cable outlet in the house, it must be split, right? One line can't become two (or more) outlets unless it's split somewhere.

Where the splits occur can differ even between identical houses in the same subdivision. They might be located so the least amount of cable is used. Or there may be a central point from which a cable goes to each outlet, even if that means cables run parallel to each other for some distance. Or it might be a combination of the two.

The splitters, theoretically, could be inaccessible, but it's unlikely (unless a wall was built at a later date than the house was cabled-up.) They might be in a crawlspace instead of out in the open, or you might need a ladder to get to them, but they're not likely to be inaccessible.

Find where the cable comes into the house, and look from there.

Reply to
Warren

X-No-Archive Found the cable box but of course it is locked with some sort of flimsy lock. It is a small, very thin (1.5" x 0.75") black base with a thin silver wire going around it in a half eclipse shape. It is not key driven. I could cut it easily, but there are all sorts of warnings about doing this. Any work around ideas?

Reply to
c_sicker

I'm not sure what to think of this discussion because it bears no correlation to my experience.

I have a condo in a 35-unit building. The cable company feeds all units with basic TV service. Residents can choose to add premium channels and/or cablemodem internet service.

In my unit I have wall jacks in two rooms where I can connect to the cable. I can put the cablemodem on either one and it works fine. I can put the television on either one and it works fine. I can put a splitter on either one and simultaneously run the televison and the cablemodem -- and they both work fine. (Cablemodem service is rated at 5M down and

700K up. I routinely see an incoming datastream over 600B/s.)

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Oops. I mean, of course, over 600KB/s.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Have you tried the cable modem in the "new" room yet? That should have been the *first* thing you did. It's easy to do and won't break anything. If it works, you're done. If not, then come back here for more advice and suggestions.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Go to where your cable comes in the house and start writing down everything you see (esp. splitters and such). Draw a stick map in your favorite editor and label all the components and wires to rooms, TVs, modems, etc

Cut-n-paste the map into your next post.

RG6 cable |-----------------> Modem Incoming cable |

---------------| TV1 (RG6) | |-----------------> TV2 (RG6) | |-----------------> (terminated at splitter)

etc, etc.

Reply to
$Bill

I can't access it to see because where the cables join is inside a grey box in my garage which has a flimsy lock on it. What would happen if I cut the lock? I would not be pirating anything since I am already paying for the service, just moving things around. Any ideas where I could get a similar lock (described in previous post)?

$Bill wrote:

Reply to
c_sicker

Yes it was the first thing I did but it was a no go. How much trouble will I get into if I break the lock at the box where the cables come into the house and move things around myself. I'm not pirating anything, just moving stuff around. Am I the only one who has a lock on these things. Those posters suggesting checking the splitter never mention locks so I assume they have direct acess to their splitters. Tough break for me I guess. Geez Loise.

Reply to
c_sicker

No idea. I'm on Comcast orig. then Adelphia and soon to be TW and never had a box or lock.

Reply to
$Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.