Modem to Modem Connections

VOIP doesn't support connecting to a modem, for example dialing a remote computer or pbx for administration. Are there filters or adapters that permit this? My computer modem can no longer connect to such devices.

Reply to
Joseph Bongiardina
Loading thread data ...

That's why it is called "Voice over IP", and not "Modem over IP". Analog modems cannot deal with their signals being packetized by the VOIP process. Human voice can. Some combinations of very low speed modems over very high packet rate IP might work some times, but would be highly unreliable. There may also be VOIP devices that "spoof" modems (and faxes) but you would have to ask your VOIP provider if they provide such.

--reed

Reply to
Reed

That sort of thing has been used in digital cell phones for years, where the phone appears as a standard modem, but the data doesn't get converted to modem signals, until it hits the wired phone network.

So, it's certainly doable, but is there a market for it?

Reply to
James Knott

It's not the packetization that's the issue, it's the compression. Run an uncompressed VoIP channel and modem/fax signals will pass through it reasonably well. If you're on Vonage, just set the "bandwidth saver" to "best quality" and you'll get an uncompressed channel (assuming your broadband can support it). The ITU standard for uncompressed voice is G.711, so if see a setting for G.711 from a provider, that's what you want.

By the way, many traditional long distance providers run VoIP/G.711 in their internal networks, and nobody notices! It can be done with proper engineering.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Somebody seems to think so...

formatting link
"'Fax and Modem Support," now makes it possible for most commonly used facsimile machines and some modems to interoperate with AT&T CallVantage Service. It may also work with some Personal Video Recorders and satellite TV systems. "

Reply to
Hooda Gest

Hey Hooda! Good to see you still kickin'. I'm trying out Cable Internet now and it seems to be doing real good so far. Twice the speed of my DSL, and half the price. I would love to get Callvantage here, but it's not available in my 270 Area Code yet. We have 16 inches of snow on the ground here in NW KY. Drifts are 3-5 feet deep in places. My neighbor is coming down your way tomorrow. Want me to send you some? ;-) Hope you and your family have the very best Christmas and a Happy New Year. God Bless.

Reply to
Art Jackson

I love my VoIP. The only problem is when the power is out (and the UPS gives up) or if the cable service goes south on me. During those hurricanes (and for a week after), we had lots of trouble but so did the folks on land line phone service.

You can keep the snow up there, thanks anyway. I've shoveled my share in the past.

The same to you and yours and have a prosperous 2005.

Reply to
Hooda Gest

Thanks for the responses. AT&T does claim to support modem communications. Optimum Voice doesn't address the issue.

Joe

Reply to
Joseph Bongiardina

from the nursery Onions bell peppers Wooden or metal skewers

Marinate the meat overnight. Get the grill good and hot while placing meat, vegetables, and fruit such as pineapples or cherries on the skewers. Don?t be afraid to use a variety of meats. Grill to medium rare, serve with garlic cous-cous and sautéed asparagus. Coffee and sherbet for desert then walnuts, cheese, and port. Cigars for the gentlemen (and ladies if they so desire)!

Crock-Pot Crack Baby

When the quivering, hopelessly addicted crack baby succumbs to death, get him immediately butchered and into the crock-pot, so that any remaining toxins will not be fatal. But don?t cook it too long, because like Blowfish, there is a perfect medium between the poisonous and the stimulating. Though it may not have the same effect on your guests, a whole chicken cooked in this fashion is also mighty tasty.

1 newborn - cocaine addicted, freshly expired, cleaned and butchered Carrots onions leeks celery bell pepper potatoes Salt pepper garlic, etc 4 cups water

Cut the meat i

Reply to
Joseph Bongiardina

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.