Modem model versus download speed?

How much does my older cable modem affect download speed?

How much speed loss would be expected from a wireless router in the mix?

I'm thinking of down-tiering to Comcast 1 Mbps service (we do very little video) would I expect a similar percentage drop?

thanks

==================== from my post at alt . online-service . comcast original: download speed testing

I get around 4.5 to 5.5 Mbps using these:

formatting link
but only get 2.7 to 3 Mbps using this site:
formatting link
according to Comcast I should be getting 6 Mbps

Anybody test lately and which sites seem more believable?

(should I complain that I don't get 6 Mbps)

note: upload speed seems more consistent around 1 Mbps It seems that the chosen server for each test excessively influences the test

a response:

Old modem? Post modem model and version numbers > "IF" your modem supports it check signal power and snr athttp://192.168.100.1/> If you get the right person when calling Comast they might check your > signal levels from their end if your modem doesn't support it..

my followup:

SurfBoard 3100 appears to be DOCSIS 1.1

Downstream Value Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB Power Level 0 dBmV The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading (this did not change on refresh)

Upstream Value Power Level 56 dBmV

what is a good reading?

Reply to
Marco
Loading thread data ...
*-* On Sat, 25 Apr 2009, at 05:46:49 -0700, *-* In Article snipped-for-privacy@y6g2000prf.googlegroups.com, *-* Marco wrote *-* About Modem model versus download speed?

Probably not much. According to , the changes in DOCSIS 2.0 over DOCSIS 1.1 are on the upstream channel. There's no mention of any enhancements to the downstream channel. Furthermore, lists the same downstream "Maximum usable speed" for both versions.

That's the service level I have.

On three tests I get 0.875, 0.900, and 0.872 Mbps download speed, and 0.365, 0.364, and 0.362 Mbps upload speeds, using their Boston, Mass., server, the one closest to me.

928, 929, and 880 Kbps download, 360, 365, and 191 Kbps upload, using New York City.
0.87, 0.87, and 0.90 Mbps download, 0.36, 0.36, and 0.36, upload, using Portland, Maine. As you can see, my results there are right in line with the other two, so I don't know why yours are so much slower than the others.

Note that I have a router, and I'm streaming Internet radio to my other computer, so I know that these tests aren't getting the full benefit of my available bandwidth.

If you read the fine print you'll find that that's *UP TO* 6 Mbps.

Mine is a Motorola SURFboard SB5100, which supports DOCSIS 2.0.

36 dB here According to this post, from December, 2004:

formatting link
it should be above 30, so we're both good there.

4 dBmV here From the same post: "The recommendation is +15 to

-15, so again we're both good. :-)

49 dBmV here Also from the same post: "Upstream should be below 55db", so you're marginally high there.

From another old thread here is what a poster was told by a Cox level 2 tech:

Ideal Normal

SNR 30+ mid 30's

Down Power 0 0-3

Up Power 50 or lower 30-50

Ken Whiton

Reply to
Ken Whiton

It should be more than enough for the 1M service. The 3100 is ancient. Although DOCSIS 1.x and 2.x support up to 38M down, many older modems don't have enough horsepower to actually push data that fast. I used to have an RCA that peaked at 5M.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

On 04/25/2009 05:46 AM, Marco sent:

Probably not the slightest bit noticeable.

Again - next to nothing.

This could be a fine economic step.

Make sure that you select site(s) that are close to your location. Multiple tests from several test sites would be good.

Sometimes I peak at close to 22Mbps down & 1.0+ up.

Make many tests between your location and a nearby speed test near Tucson. These tests should be at various times of the day and days of the week. If after compiling the results you see your download speed isn't approaching your tier, it's time to complain. Of course Comcast will shift the blame to you and your computer system. Be persistent.

http://192.168.100.1/>> If you get the right person when calling Comcast they might check your

My older Linksys DOCSIS 1.1 modem is seeing 22 Mbps downloads.

You have good readings.

Pete

Reply to
1PW

Do you have VOIP service? We are thinking about getting magic jack and wondering if the upstream speed would be an issue at the 1 Mbps service level.

by the way thanks for the previous replies - very helpful

Reply to
Marco
*-* On Sat, 2 May 2009, at 05:45:12 -0700 (PDT), *-* In Article snipped-for-privacy@j18g2000prm.googlegroups.com, *-* Marco wrote *-* About Re: Modem model versus download speed?

No.

A little poking, probing, and digging at the magicJack web site uncovers the following answer to several related FAQuestions:

"A minimum bandwidth UPLOAD speed of 128 kb/s (or kbit/s or kbps) is required."

formatting link
?sc=19&sf=101133&documentid=335937&action=view
formatting link
Since the upload speed test results I got were almost three times that value, I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

You're welcome.

Ken Whiton

Reply to
Ken Whiton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.