modem and ethernet card not talking

hello, how do i get my cable modem and ethernet card to communicate again? i removed the ethernet cable and reecycled mdem severl times, and will not talk. the ethernet cvard works and modem works on usb. I have win xp and charter modem.

dont mind usb as backup but would like ehternet card to work...

please help thanks

Reply to
elfkar2001
Loading thread data ...

i did and still wont talk to each other

Reply to
elfkar2001

Power down (unplug) everything. Power up modem and wait 1 minute; make sure modem ethernet is plugged into PC and make sure NO USB is connected; power up the PC (one hopes you are running Windows XP)

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Saw someone mention leaving the ethernet cable in might not allow a good reset because of the power draw from the ether cable. Another indicated you may have to wait five minutes with cable modem unplugged from the wall.

Maybe a bad/wrong ethernet cable. On linux you can use mii-tool -v to see if it has link signal.

Reply to
Bit Twister

Check the cable between the NIC and the modem. Make sure it's a patch cable (straight through connection) and NOT not a crossover cable. Look at the wires at each connector. If the same color is connected to the same pin at each end, then it's OK.

A crossover cable physically has some of the wirescrossed from one end to the other to allow the data to transmit/receive properly between devices. The orange, orange/white and the green, green/white wire are reversed on one end.

The difference between regular and crossover cables:

formatting link
Diagrams of the two types of cables:
formatting link
You didn't mention the type of modem. Some have routers built-in and have a setting that clones the MAC address of the NIC. Check the user manual.

Have you tried the "Network Connection Wizard"?

Click "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "Network Connections", and use the "Network Connection Wizard" to create a new connection. Connect to the internet through the LAN.

Also, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options, click the "Connections: tab, click "LAN Settings..." button and uncheck "Automatically Detect Settings" and "Use Automatic configuration script", "OK", "Apply", "OK"

Reply to
Unk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.