Mac address and serial number

How does one obtain this information from a modem?

Reply to
Theslaz
Loading thread data ...

Use some application like wget, curl, axel to read the information from the cable modem, or use some programming language like perl.

No idea what you would use on Micro$oft.

Reply to
Bit Twister

If you have physical access - go look at it - this info is usually on the side / bottom.

Most cable modems have an internal web admin / status page ... for example http://192.168.100.1 works for Motorola and Linksys cable modems. You should be able to look up you make / model on the vendor's website and / or the manual.

Reply to
riggor9999

This is what I thought. I've done a lot of reading on this in the last few days and nobody has actually said this. It would be just "Obtain the Mac address and Serial Number"; nothing about how!

Thanks for your reply and information.

Reply to
Theslaz

You haven't said if you want it visually or electrically yet. I assume that it's written on the modem and you don't want it that way. You also didn't specify modem make/model.

Reply to
$Bill

Don't know what make or model; not yet anyways. Will be going over to a friend that is subscribed to Shaw cable and will pull this information of his modem; as I need to flash this info unto mine.

Mine is a Motorola SB5100 cable modem

Reply to
Theslaz

They have a status page where the info should be available. I know it's there on my Terayon and also on the back/bottom of the case.

Reply to
$Bill

I don't think you will be dong that. Each cable company controls the firmware that goes onto your cable modem - regardless if you own it or rent it.

Messing with the firmware will only lead to all sorts of problems with your cable company.

Reply to
riggor9999

Wrong! It is a common procedure in this day and age to be able to hack cable modems; hell; there are even some published books out on the subject. I'd suggest to you that you do some reading on the subject. You'd be surprised what can be done to these modems nowadays. However; having said that; there are some modems that can not be modified.

Reply to
Theslaz

That doesn't make it legal. Using a hacked modem to obtain service you don't pay for is quite simply theft of service.

Good luck,

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

I agree that it's easy to hack a modem, it works very well, and your chances of getting caught are very low, to the point of being near zero if you don't get too crazy. Having said that, however, it's clearly illegal, but it sounds like you already know that and have accepted whatever risk you encounter.

Reply to
Bill M.

I did not say that you can't hack it - I was stating that you should not hack it ...

Reply to
riggor9999

Funny - you suggest I should do some reading - however you could not figure out how to get the mac adddress and serial number .... hmmmmm

'nuff said

Reply to
riggor9999

Pardon me? What I'm doing right now is researching the problem i have/had! I've done a lot of reading; just couldn't come up with the proper procedure; so guess what; I'm still reading!

I get a kick out of New Groups! One asks a simple question; than you can expect to get all these smart ass replies; but as always; the smart ass replies don't answer the question. Just a lot of personal opinions and some preaching of what I should/shouldn't be doing because it is stealing. I know I stole the modem and I'll give it back when I'm finished testing with it.

Reply to
Theslaz

dude - everyone tried to help you and no one gave you crap about not looking at the actual modem, or going to the Motorola web site and downloading the manual ... not one person called you for being a simpleton and not being able to do what my 4th grader can do.

It's only when you moved on about hacking the modem / theft of modem / theft of service that people started riding you.

You slammed me "for not doing reading" on the fact that people are hacking the modem - when all I said is that you should not do that. I naturally answered you back about your failure to read / do fundamental research.

At this point - this conversation is dead ..... grown up / shut up ... you're not getting any sympathy for stealing, or for not being able to look up basics in a manual, or for not being able to look at the bottom of the cable modem.

Reply to
riggor9999

It it has a battery and you need to reset it, remove the battery.

Reply to
Justin

Well said! Thanks for your concern and advice.

Reply to
Theslaz

No, the SB5100 does not have a battery. The SBV5100 might. The "V" makes all the difference...

If you really want to know, find the actual model number on the actual modem (yes, you'll have to look at it - no hacking required), and then go to Motorola's web site and read the readily available documentation for the modem.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

A little confusion here! I don't have the SB5100 modem yet. I want to go to a friends house and retrieve the necessary info from his modem. Don't know what make or model his modem is. Just wanted to know what the basic procedure is.

I think that 9999's post is what I suspected and is what I will have to do! ________________________________________________________________________

"Most cable modems have an internal web admin / status page ... for example http://192.168.100.1 works for Motorola and Linksys cable modems. You should be able to look up you make / model on the vendor's website and / or the manual."

Reply to
Theslaz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.