Low speed connection with network

Hi folks,

Few days ago I purchased the following two hardware units:

· D-Link AirPlus G High Speed 2.4 GHz 4-Port 802.11g Wireless Router, Model DI-524 · TRENDware/TRENDnet 802.11g Wireless PC Card, Model TEW-421PC

Plugged and installed everything according to the instructions and what I got was a noticeable difference in the speed (LOWER) of the desktop which is connected via Ethernet cable to the router, then to the Cable Modem box. That happens also, when the Wireless PC card was removed from the laptop. The speed on the laptop (connected wirelessly) via the PC card was also very slow but I guess that is expected. The desktop, though, should not have a change of speed. When I removed the router, and plugged the desktop directly to the Cable Modem box, speed became lightning fast again.

Why is this happening? Do I need to play with some settings or what? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
SPie
Loading thread data ...

Remember this: whenever connecting a new computer (router is a computer) to the modem, always shut down the modem for a minute, repower, when it stabilizes then start the router. This clears the modem's MAC address table and prevents most connection difficulties.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.