Lousy Transfer Speeds

For the past ytwo years I would be able to dnwnload at 400kK/sec and upload around 60kB/sec. For the past few weeks I would just get a fractionof that and sometimes it would just not load a page. I would get a 404 - it was that slow. I talked to my ISP, of course they don't support routers because they are assholes as usual. I tried shutting down the WIndows machine, and it did the same thing on my Mandriva Linux machine - horrible transfer machines. I also troed unplugging the Windows maching - no change. I shut down and unplugged the Linux machine - horrible transfer speeds on the WIndowsm machine. I wouldn't see any activity lights on either of the ports either. I gtried a different router - I bought my parents anew one and I haven't had a chance to install it - A Linksys WRT540GS. No change in operation. The only thing I didn't repalce is the cable modem itself a BEFCMU10. The activity light on the cable modem blinks constantly too. When I switched routers I got a new IP address - so I don't think it is a DOS attack. With both machines off and unplugged - the activity light is still going bonkers.

Here is a video of what it does...

formatting link
Update: I couldn't post this last night. I went to wal-mart and bought another cable modem and we'll see how that goes. I have to call the cable company this morning and give them the info so thay can provision it.

Reply to
Justin
Loading thread data ...

It's normal for activity lights to blink continuously. Cable is full of ARP (??) packets that it is picking up. Some modems, such as the Motorola SB5120, are smart enough to not blink the light for them. It's nothing to worry about, as it's not really taking up much, if any, bandwidth.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

It didn't do that before. Thats the erids part. The emount of blinking int he video is ALOT worse than previously. There were a few lightning storms the past few weeks, I wasn't around and all my PC equipment was up and running. I have power protection, but not through the cable line. Of course nothing protects against lightning.

Reply to
Justin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.