Lose of connection after five minutes

When I am connected to the net via cable and I do not use the connect for five minutes I loose connect. A window pops up and I click on reconnect and I am back on. Is there a setting to fix this or am I going to have to live with it. BTW I use Comcast.

Reply to
BigJim
Loading thread data ...

More info to start:

Config ? Simple line drawing of your setup.

Type of cable modem ?

Do you have a router in between ? Type ?

OS ?

Reply to
$Bill

Motorola sb4200 d-link wireless router di 524 using wep and shared auth/ xp pro and vista and it does it with vista also. vista is installed on a separate drive. I use a drive caddy and change out the drives. the funny thing is if I keep working the connection stays up. so I figure it is in the router setup somewhere but I can't find it.

Reply to
BigJim

The only thing that comes to mind would be power management turning the device off due to non-use. Check here:

(XP Pro) CtrlPanel->NetworkConnections->(network that is connected)->

Properties->General->Configure->PowerManagement

and see if it's enabled and try disabling it.

If you have a firewall running, you could try bypassing the router for a test to see if it makes a difference (I doubt it will, but it would rule it in or out).

Reply to
$Bill

thanks I will give it a try but I think the problem is in the router. Since it does it with both wireless and hard connect. Maybe a new router will fix the problem.

Reply to
BigJim

Then bypass the router and see if it stays up. I don't know what settings a Dlink has, so I can't help you there.

Reply to
$Bill

Also think it is the router. BUT when the connection is lost, just ujnplug the power for the router, wait about 10-30 sec, then reconnect the router power; this will let windows or whatever to continue with just a temp loss of connection. This was something I had to do with my netgear that kept "crashing" ever so often at unknown timeframes.

Bought a new router & haven't had a disconnect for over 1 week.

Have also switched from the opendns for dns as it seem to do a lookup too often even when it was just access; it confused me a bit as to whether the router crash or just opendns doing its thing.

Reply to
student

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.