Linksys Router Question

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the best place to get an answer, but I'll try explaining my problem.

I need some help setting up my router configuration.

I have a fixed IP with my DSL company. I have a wired Linksys router (192.168.1.1) which plugs into a 16 port switch. From there I have several devices, each with its own 192.168.x.x IP number. The wired router is set up as PPPoE.

Recently I purchased a Sony Laptop with a wireless NIC inside. So, I bought a wireless Linksys router. I cannot get this thing to work.

I would like to hook the wireless router into the switch, and that way I can map drives between my computers and laptop on my own network. My wired router, which hooks to my DSL modem can still be the gateway out.

I'm not sure how to set this up since the wireless router also has an IP of 192.168.1.1. I have made no progress in 2 weeks and I'm really frustrated.

Can anyone provide some assistance? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Arthur snipped-for-privacy@unsu.com

Reply to
amerar
Loading thread data ...
1) Swap out the wired router with the wireless router, and put the wired router in a drawer.

2) Return the wireless router and get an access point....and plug that into the 16 port switch.

Reply to
riggor9999

I would think you would still want the routing capability unless all the PCs are on the same net. Can't you just leave the WAN side open and still run as a router on the switch/LAN side (with the other router connecting switch to switch) ? I'm not sure just how sophisticated the routing is on the LAN side for these SOHO routers.

Reply to
$Bill

You'll notice I didn't disagree with the DHCP part, I was only referring to the 'NOT be a router' part.

Reply to
$Bill

[or]

or

3) set the wireless router to NOT do DHCP and NOT be a router (just a hub or AP) if it has said settings.
Reply to
Rick Merrill

The problem here is that the wireless router will/may grab WIRED computers on the network -- which will then get their IP address from the wireless AND THINK THE WIRELESS ROUTER IS THEIR GATEWAY.

You have to turn off the DHCP server function of the wireless router if you're going to connect it to the wired router using a LAN port instead of the WAN port.

Terry Visit my computer tips, coffee pages, forums and more at:

formatting link

Reply to
Terry Stockdale

Well, the wireless router has two options. It can function as a router, or as a gateway. It says that is there is another router acting as a gateway on the network, that I should NOT configure this as the gateway.

But, both devices will have the address of 192.168.1.1. How will that work?

I am so lost.........

Arthur

Reply to
amerar

You are correct! : it will not work: change one to 192.168.1.2

Change one Router to NOT use NAT translation and one to NOT use DHCP.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Take a look at the networking and wireless networking sections of my website. There are some diagrams that may help, as well as discussion of security issues and opportunities.

Terry Visit my computer tips, coffee pages, forums and more at:

formatting link

Reply to
Terry Stockdale

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.