Linksys Router - No IP Address from Adelphia

I have Linksys BEFW11S4. It will not obtain an IP address from Adelphia. I can take this router to a friends house and works fine. I can connect my computer straight to cable modem and it works fine. I can connect computer to router and access router's built in setup pages. I have reset router, upgraded firmware and tried every possible combination of restarting network devices. I have even tried cloning the MAC address from my network card then restarting and still not luck. I even tried new CAT 5 cables. Still will not work. But it works at friends house Is there something else I am not aware of I can try?

Thanks, Tony

Reply to
tonyj32
Loading thread data ...

Cloning the MAC address should have solved it, if this is the problem. On the other hand, give this a try -- in sequence! Turn off the modem. Hook up the modem-router-computer. Turn on the modem and let it sync to the system. Turn on the router. Turn on the computer.

Let me know if this works.

Terry My website:

formatting link
weekly newsletter:
formatting link

Reply to
Terry Stockdale

At times like this it would appear that your provider is doing some mac filtering and will only allow your 'registered' address which is on your computer to work.

The solution is, and I'm not sure if it is available with the BEFW11S4 but believe it is, is to go into the routers configuration and look for the page that will clone the computers mac address and then use that mac address when talking to your cable provider.

Give it a try.

Good luck

Reply to
Lionel B. Dyck

Tony shut EVERYTHING down....then start the cable modem. AFTER it is up and connected start the router, then after it is up, should only take a few seconds, start the computer. The Linksys should now have an IP address...either that or you need to go back and reset the router to its defaults and start again. I hooked one up to Adelphia Cable a few months ago did as outlined and it worked fine. No changes were made to the router AT ALL! I used it straight out of the box, no settings were changed!

Reply to
f/fgeorge

I tried that too. I even reflashed the firmware.

Reply to
tonyj32

Connect your computer directly to the modem. Google for the application winsockxpfix.exe and run it to repair the layered network services. Reconnect the router and computer to the modem. See if you can now get a connection.

You should not be required to clone any MAC address on Adelphia.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Adephia may not require a specific MAC address, but the modem will often lock onto the MAC address at the other end of the cable.

The fix is to turn the modem off for 10-15 seconds and then power it back on again.

If you've got a combination cable modem / telephone modem, it's probably easier to clone the network card's MAC into the router than it is to take a chance at messing up the phone side of the operation.

Terry My website:

formatting link
weekly newsletter:
formatting link

Reply to
Terry Stockdale

I ended up swapping routers with my friend. Now both are working fine. Not sure why. I tried all the listed suggestions here, nothing seemed to work. Thanks for everyones help.

Reply to
tonyj32

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.