Linksys Cable Modems

Hi All,

Has anyone used the Cable Modems from Linksys - WCG200 or BEFCMU10 ? Any suggestions on how they perform? Do they perform as well as the Cable Modems from Motorola (eg: SB5100) ?

Thanks for your time.

Reply to
none
Loading thread data ...

I replaced my Motorola Surfboard 4100 with a Linksys BEFCMU10. The 4100 could not do the Gold speeds so I had to upgrade. I picked the Linksys based on cost and cost alone. I have never had a problem, but I have no real way of measuring performance.

My Linksys BEFCMU10 is connected to a Linksys RP31P2 Router.

Using

formatting link
... my speeds are:

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.3.3e click START to begin Another client is currently being served, your test will begin within 45 seconds Preparing Speedtest . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 739.44Kb/s running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 13.91Mb/s

Your speed is 253.01 times faster than 56Kb dialup

click START to re-test

Reply to
riggor

I just installed a BEFCMU10 this weekend, replacing an old Toshiba PCX1100. So far it seems to be doing OK. I've been running pings every second since yesterday afternoon. 13 hours had no drops, 5 hours had only 1 drop, 7 hours had 2 drops, 2 hours had 3 drops, and 2 hours had 4 drops. That's 99.98% reliability so far. I did an 8-hour test with my old modem last week and got only 99.83% reliability.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

I ran a Linksys BEFCMU10 for about a year and a half. It seemed to be ok but then I started having problems with losing connection. I bought a SB5100 and it's been rock solid ever since. Maybe I just had a bad one.

Reply to
Dave

Just curious. Who'd you run your D.O.S. attack on?

Reply to
KenP

If you decide to get one, make sure it is the version 4, I believe. You can check the Comcast site for which ones are compatible.

I have been using mine for about 2 months, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Clark

Reply to
Clark

I second this modem. I have the SB5120 and it performs flawlessly. Never requires a reboot and will automatically reconnect after an outage [had some line work done when I added digital phone that disconnected temporily and it picked it up immediately upon reconnect].

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

What are you talking about?

Reply to
Dave

He is asking who the recipient of your 8+ hour PING is. ICMP, of which PING is based upon, is often used as a DOS (denial of service) attack. Who did you ping for 8 hours?

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your time and responses. WCG200 is an integrated wireless router plus CM. I heard the modem part of it does not function as well a regular CM, so just wanted to get the opinion.

thanks again!

Clark wrote:

Reply to
none

I never said anything about an 8 hour ping. I think he's responding to the wrong message.

Reply to
Dave

He was replying to Barry not Dave.

Reply to
Dr Feelgood

Been using the WCG200 for more than a year and no problems. This is much more than a cable modem. Wireless and wired network all in one package'

n> Hi All,

Reply to
MiltW

He was probably replying to "none" :

Reply to
Rick Merrill

I third that, but remember that you need to reboot it to get the Powerboost.

Reply to
Anthony Marsh

I don't think so. If you use your client to look at the entire thread as sorted by threads, you'll be able to see who replied to who. Barry is the one who originally mentioned running a ping to test his new modem, but I somehow don't think it will bring any sites down to their knees.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Heiling

I was going to reply "Gee, I wonder where people get some of these crappy newsreaders from where they can't see the rest of the thread. Are they using their cellphones to browse usenet or something!?!?"

Then I realized that the original message was crossposted, which may have screwed the conversation thread in some places. A good reason not to do that.

Reply to
Shadowman

One ping a second is hardly a DOS attack.

I was pinging 4.2.2.1.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

I wantd to get a SB5100, but MicroCenter didn't have any in stock, and I didn't feel like running around looking for other places that might have it.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

Without getting into either the merits or mechanics of crossposting, it should be noted that it can't change a reply to A into a reply to B under any set of circumstances. In the current thread and all subthreads, all posts (19 at this point) appeared in both groups without anyone removing a group in their reply, so it hasn't even been a factor. You can trust your thread-view.

Reply to
Robert Heiling

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.