Linksys cable modem questions

I bought Comcast's upgrade from 4 to 6 MB in Montgomery County MD, but noticed that not only was I not getting 6 MB, I wasn't even getting 4, as determined by multiple test sites (bandwidthplace, testmy.net, speakeasy.net and others). When I went to the 192.168.100.1 page my several year old Linksys BEFCMU10, version2 was recorded as a DOCSIS

1.0 device, with firmware 1.07.

First read I got back from Linksys support was that the modem could not be upgraded and I'd need to buy a new one to get 6MB download. So I bought a version 3, and now I can get better speeds, (usually around

4.8, with 6.0-6.5 when I hook my PC directly to the modem instead of the Linksys befsr41 router). However, I was wondering if I got the right answer from Linksys-- while I still have time to return the new modem for credit. I called Linksys again, and this time the tech support person said that Comcast has more recent firmware than 1.07 and should be able to push upgrade my version 2 to the DOCSIS 1.1 standard. When I called Comcast tech support they knew nothing about it.

So what's going on-- was the old modem the reason I couldn't get even

4 MB? Does it matter if the modem is DOCSIS 1.0 or 1.1, and can that modem be upgraded by Comcast?
Reply to
Mark Klebanoff
Loading thread data ...

When you power-cycle the modem, it will get a new config file. If it needs a firmware update, Comcast will automatically push it to you. If Linksys says there's a later version of the firmware than what you have, that's irrelevant. Comcast will use the version that they feel is best for their system. A customer service tech at whatever outsourcer Linksys is using does not know the Comcast network better than the Comcast engineers who decide which version to use. All the Linksys CSR knows is that there is a version with a different number that's higher, and it is dated later. The Comcast customer service rep isn't an engineer, either. They may or may not even know that firmware is pushed out to your modem. They certainly don't have the knowledge to decide what version is better, nor would they ever be given the authority to mess with the network like that.

Perhaps the later version does update the modem to DOCSIS 1.1, but it's unlikely that's the only change. So just because one aspect seems to be better, we don't know what else was involved, or why Comcast isn't using that version. All we know is that they're not using the version, and your old modem has limitations that prevent it from performing as well as what's available to you.

Perhaps some day Linksys will release a new firmware for the version 2 that meets whatever requirement Comcast has that the current latest firmware isn't, and that firmware will be pushed out to the version 2's still in service. Perhaps Linksys has moved on, and won't be updating the old model anymore. Perhaps they'll come out with another update that still doesn't meet Comcast's requirements. None of these things are something that customer service reps would know about, and even if you did happen to speak to one who has the level of technical expertise (yet is still in a job paying less than half what people with that expertise make), they can't accurately speculate what everyone who's involved will or won't do, and if anything will change or when.

In other words, you know the new modem solves your problem. You're gambling if you keep the old modem hoping that other people's efforts will combine, and combine in a timely fashion, to come up with a different solution -- and who knows if that solution will really be a solution!

Sell your old modem on eBay to someone who doesn't know, doesn't care, or has a cable company that won't be upgrading their service as promptly as Comcast updated yours.

Reply to
Warren

I have the Linksys BEFCMU10 version 2, for a few years now. Everytime there has been a mention here of increased speeds, I have power cycled, and immediately was operating at or above the stated new speeds. You said you "bought" the upgrade, do you mean you paid extra? I am paying regular price for the speeds posted below. I am in Springfield, MA area.

I don't think the version is the issue. Perhaps the modem went bad? Contrary to Warren's suggestion vis a vis eBay, if you return the newer modem, and find he was correct, you can always go and buy the modem again. Perhaps with rebates or a better price. Don't you think finding with a bit more certainty what the problem is might lead to better result? Is RCN an option? My few cents.

dj

my stats: (can you say underpopulated node?)

Standard Specification Compliant DOCSIS 1.0 Hardware Version 4.0 Software Version 1.0.7 (befcmu10v2_107.bin)

:::.. Download Stats ..::: Connection is:: 6356 Kbps about 6.4 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB) Download Speed is:: 776 kB/s Tested From::

formatting link
(server1) Test Time:: Sun Aug 7 23:17:37 EDT 2005 Bottom Line:: 114X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1.32 sec Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 62.39 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

Reply to
Dr. Cajones

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff

My old linksys modem with version 1.06 (The version just before yours) had many issues including the modem freezing up to slow speeds. The few people who have managed to get comcast to push the 1.0.7 found most of the issues solved. The version 2 linksys with 1.0.6 (not sure on the decimal place.) can have issues with slow speeds. Ive seen this come up everytime there is a speed upgrade. Not a new issue, just one that comcast wont fix.. :(

I just gave up and rented the motorola 5120. speeds immediately shot from

3.8 to 6.3 first try. (6600/768 cap at the time) been fine since.
Reply to
Dan

Disconnecting the coax has absolutely no effect once you've disconnected the power. You do run the risk of bending the center connector each time you reattach it. Given that there is no benefit, and a real risk to disconnecting the coax, I would not recommend this as a step to follow, especially if you're not talking about a length of cable that can be easily replaced if you bend or break the center connector.

Also, if the device connected to the modem (a computer or a router) is not powered-up, there's no advantage to disconnecting the Ethernet cable, either. The risk is lower, but eventually you will wear-out the spring tension of the little tab.

Reply to
Warren

recycled? for a new modem? if you mean power cycled, what steps are included for your power cycle? My experience has shown good results with following a pretty sequence specific pattern. Shut down computer disco the network cable between computer & modem power off modem disco coax from back of modem count to some small multiple of 60, even a multiple of one seems ok, but if you can leave it be for a bit, thats ok. reconnect the coax first, them power up the modem, wait for all lights to sequence and go normal connect the network cable, power up the computer, then check your speeds. my linksys ( i posted the details earlier) has been a super coworker since leaving the box some years ago. good luck.

dj

Reply to
Dr. Cajones

Exactly. The only thing that really ever needs to be disconnected is the power supply for devices that don't have real power switches. Disconnecting data cables from unpowered devices is completely unnecessary, and serves absolutely no purpose.

Reply to
Warren

My cable company recommends unplugging the modem for 1 minute, then reapplying power. If connection isn't restored, then power down modem, router, and computer(s), and then repower modem, router, and computer(s), in that order, giving each time to run self-test, and fully become ready before going to the next. I have had very good results with this procedure.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

I have the Linksys cable modem and the Linksys router on one power bar. What has worked best for me is to kill power to the powerbar - wait about 30 seconds, then turn the powerbar back on.

That simple.

Reply to
riggor99999

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.