Is there a speed test on Comcast's network?

Hi all,

I live in Michigan and am supposed to be on the Comcast gold 6MBpS down plan. I'm getting the gold upstream, but all the speed tests I've done over the past week are showing downloads anywhere from 1 to 4 MBPS.

Is there a speed test on Comcast's network that will give me the most reliable results and that Comcast tech support will give credence to?

Thanks,

--Al

Reply to
Al Puzzuoli
Loading thread data ...

Do you have a router? Try connecting your PC directly to cable modem and let us know what speed you get. I just found last night that my router can't handle 6MB speeds.

Reply to
AG

I do have a router, a Linksys WRT54G running Sveasoft. The thing is I was getting the full 6MB-- same router, same modem. Things seem to have started to slow down Just within the last week and nothing has changed at my end.

--Al

Reply to
Al Puzzuoli

Sorry, you right it should have been 6Mb (for bits). I'm running SMC7004VBR and I can't get anything higher than 4Mb. When I disable firewall features SPI and DoS detection, it goes up to 7Mb.

Reply to
AG

DSLReports tests download and upload -- Try it !

formatting link

Reply to
David H. Lipman

You must have a real old model. They should be able to handle 8~10Mb/s

And that's Mb/s (megabit per second) not MB (MegaByte) there is a difference and I assure you, you are NOT getting 6MB/s from Comcast !

BTW: What is the model and revision of your Router ?

Reply to
David H. Lipman

That's 6Mb/s not 6MB !

Reply to
David H. Lipman

What kind of Cable Modem do you have? There is a problem with the Gold service and some models of Cable Modems. Check out

formatting link
People are getting the 784 up - but are only get 4900 down - not the full 6000

As far as your original question....no Comcast specific test sites..but try these

formatting link

Reply to
riggor9999

I doubt you've ever had 6 MB/s (48 Mb/s), as that exceeds what DOCSIS is capable of. Perhaps 6 Mb? Remember, B==bytes, b==bits.

Reply to
James Knott

The SMC Barricade family have 10/100Mb/s WAN ports and should have no problems with any DOCSIS speeds. If you are, you may have a defective Router. If FireWall features are limiting you then the unit could be defective. A hardware based FireWall should not degrade connections as you have noted. The certainly would not have used a 10/100Mb/s chip-set on the WAN side if it was not intended to be used with a 100Mb/s connection.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.