Internal PCI Cable modem with (Gentoo) Linux

Check with the Comcast forum at

formatting link
There is an issue with *a* Zoom modem IIRC. OTOH, binding the computer to an internal broadband modem will IMO eventually bind your ability to expand your system. Comcast will supply an external modem for a few $$ per month. This has the demonstrated benefit of being able to receive modem support and modem exchanges from Comcast. Modem support is often the gateway to line quality and local (house) line drop support.

Q Q
Reply to
Quaoar
Loading thread data ...

It may not work. That modem is not on the approved modem list. Sorry..

Reply to
Danska

btw, here is the approved modem list.

formatting link

Reply to
Danska

Looking to get on to Comcast cable (bay area California) and am running gentoo linux with a 2.6 kernel. I am looking for an internal (PCI) cable modem that will work with both Comcast and linux.

Being that internal cable modems themselves are rare, is it realistic to think one would work with linux? The closest I've found is Zoom's 5001 PCI, and their site has a link to linux drivers that I've downloaded. Does anyone know if modem would work with Comcast service?

TIA, David

Reply to
David

Why do you want an internal? What are you trying to achieve?

I used to be on Adelphia and I had a Motorola Surfboard 1000...I had limited success with Redhat Linux. Once I got switched to an external SB1100 - then the OS no longer mattered.

Now I am on Comcast, with a Surfboard 4100 - and I can run ANY OS (Linux, Solaris, Windows).....

Reply to
riggor9999

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.