Intermittent Service Interruptions

I'm on Comcast, Mont County MD. XP with SP2. Problem is on my desktop that is connected (coax) to the wireless modem that services my laptop. I get occasional and very short service interruptions - IE will suddenly ask if I want to dial up (it seemingly does not remember that I say "never dial up a connection") and other apps will lose their internet connection briefly. This seems to be related to the fact that I installed a new SB5100 modem recently. The log there will show that:

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out

Looks like Comcast fails to respond in time. Whats up? Anyone else have this? Is there a timeout setting?

Reply to
Jim T.
Loading thread data ...

No, it's ethernet. Was always good with the old RCA rented modem.

Thanks, I'll consider that.

Reply to
Jim T.

First of all, you might want to go into Network Properties and actually disable your dialup connection. Don't remove it, just disable it. You can always enable it again if you want to use it, but your browser or other programs won't be able to use it automatically if your cable connection goes down.

Second, I belive that area is about to upgraded to Bedrock. I saw a post to that effect in the DSLReports Comcast forum to that effect. Before this happens, lease times are dropped down to 1 hour, which usually means that you get those disconnects every couple of hours until the work is done. So check your lease times and see if you got a message in one of your Comcast email accounts about it.

mady

Reply to
mady

Jim, this may not be an issue, but are you running it on a USB port? I've found sometimes that USB ports occasionally flake out and won't hold a connection, whereas Ethernet ports are generally rock solid. If you're running a USB connection, try it over Ethernet.

If that still doesn't work, it's possible they should re-provision your modem from their end. It might not have been done right the first time.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.