Install own cable modem on Comcast

If you currently "rent" a modem from comcast, get a receipt for it when you return it. Make three copies of that receipt. Mail one back to Comcast immediately, and store another one in a fireproof bank vault. It took me months to get Comcast to stop trying to charge me for a modem I no longer had. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.
Loading thread data ...

For me, they thought that I turned in the modem as part of canceling the service, even though the clerk entered a comment that that I was replacing it with a customer owned modem and I had the modem "provisioned" by giving them the make, model, serial number and MAC address. I have had very few problems with the actual cable modem service, but I have had numerous problems with Comcast's business operations.

I second Andrew's comments and suggest that you keep good records of all communications with Comcast, get people's names and get everything in writing.

Reply to
Bob Haar

Any special issues adding a self-bought modem with Comcast?

So far, I've gotten conflicting information. It generally seems as if you are forced to a specific page to set up the account. Sometimes, you need to use a special address (I found one link to some addresses on Broadband reports.)

Any other things I need to worry about?

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

This will be for a new internet account, not replacing a rental. They already have regular cable.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Comcast just switched over to the new Fiberoptic lines earlier in my Area. Went from a A/B system just just a single cable now, with more channels. But anyway, I bought a Cable Modem and the Comcast Self Install Kit and Best Buy a while back. I plugged the Cable Modem in on like Sunday and the Cable light was flashing, come Tuesday Morning it was solid. Called them at lunch to get Internet access. At first they said I didn't have Internet access in my Area yet, and then I explained how I already had a Modem and the Self Install Kit and my Modem now had a connection to their system. I finally got the Number I needed and ran the Install software entered the Numbers and was connected up in no time at all. After it was working right. I installed my Netgear Router which took me a bit to figure out have to get that working correctly. Then I canceled my DSL service. My DSL speed was like 200/100 and now with cable it's 3000/256, and for only $10 more then what DSL was costing me. It's so freeken much faster then what I had. I was also having problems with my DSL service is not working at times. Sometimes for hours, and other times for a day or 2. It was getting worse. So far I'm happy with Comcast. Of course now my cable bill is even MORE, and if they get there DVR HD in, that would be even more yet.

Reply to
JBDragon

Comcast here in Michigan, requires that you notify them, and give them the MAC address of the cable modem. Until you do, you're not going anywhere. Other than that, it's very smooth, and simple.

Bill Crocker

Reply to
Bill Crocker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.