Hub/Router setup question for RoadRunner in upstate New York

In the Capital District, Time Warner lets you have 3 unique IP addresses. I have been using a DLink Wireless router for a while with success. I plugged the cable modem into the WAN jack of the router, then plugged my PC into the router. Two other PCs in the house had wireless cards and got to the internet that way. Time Warner assigned the router its IP address, and the router used DHCP to assign IP addresses to all the computers in the house. Also, we were all able to use Windows networking to share printers and files.

Here's my question: with RoadRunner, does each IP address get a fixed amount of bandwidth? In the case I outline above, are all of our computers sharing the same pipe? The reason I ask is that I just picked up Vonage service and I'm thinking that I could plug the cable modem into a hub, then plug the router into the hub and the Vonage box into the hub. All of our PCs would still be plugged into the router, but the Vonage box would get its own IP from RoadRunner and, I am hoping, its own bandwidth so that it wouldn't fluctuate based on what we were doing on our PCs.

If that works, I may just unplug my PC from the router and put it into the hub to leverage the three IPs that RoadRunner provides so that my PC could get maximum bandwidth while the wireless PCs would have their own pool. Only problem then is that I'm thinking our home networking would get screwed up since my PC would be outside of the router. :( Thanks for any help you can provide!

Lerch

Reply to
mike.lerch
Loading thread data ...

You need to turn off the DHCP and routing function of the Router (or get a simple hub) so that the ISP's DHCP assigns IP numbers to each of the PCs. Then and only then will each PC get it's "full" bandwidth.

(Not that you will no longer have a LAN, but 3 PCs on a WAN. You will have to teach each PC the IP address of the others, and all your local trafic will be 'exposed' to the internet.)

- RM

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Of course they can triple the fixed amount you get so, in essence, you would have triple the bandwidth of everyone else (unless they also have

3 IP addresses - and then, who knows).
Reply to
$Bill

I believe bandwidth is limited by the cable modem's config file, not by the number of IP addresses you're allowed to pull.

Reply to
Bill M.

The DOCSIS method of capping bandwidth is by capping the modem. Theoretically you could achieve a per-IP cap at a router past the CMTS. So if the business account IP were to be capped at, say, 5000, and each of the two other IP's were capped at 3000, then the DOCSIS modem would need to be capped at 11000 or above, or not be capped.

This would be a very odd-ball set-up, and I don't know of any large cable providers currently doing it that way. Typically the providers take advantage of just the DOCSIS method of capping the modem.

So to recap on caps (pun intended), the scheme you describe is not a function of the DOCSIS system, but could, in theory, be something added on outside the DOCSIS system.

Reply to
news.comcast.giganews.com

Most Docsis compliant cable modems have the ability to handle three IP addresses and throttle per each. e.g. this lets there be 2 home and 1 business account on one modem.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

What brand modem and model do you have?

Reply to
Rick Merrill

No. Your cable modem gets a fixed amount of bandwidth. If you have multiple IPs, they share the available bandwidth on a demand basis. That is, if only one device is trying to use bandwidth, it can use all of it, but if two devices are trying to use bandwidth, each gets half. Class of service is intended to prioritize bandwidth so, for example, your VOIP packets could take precedence over FTP packets, but most cable systems don't support it yet.

-Larry Jones

I don't think math is a science, I think it's a religion. -- Calvin

Reply to
lawrence.jones

I've never heard of an MSO that does that. Not even the ones that charge extra for additional IPs.

-Larry Jones

We don't ATTEND parties, we just CRASH 'em. -- Calvin

Reply to
lawrence.jones

It doesn't matter, all DOCSIS modems work that way. The bandwidth cap is on the modem, not the IP address.

-Larry Jones

How am I supposed to learn surgery if I can't dissect anything? -- Calvin

Reply to
lawrence.jones

You heard wrong.

And how do you expect someone to cite a source for something that doesn't exist when you're not willing to post a source for something that you think does exist? It's up to you to show he's wrong in saying it doesn't work that way by showing an example of it working that way. He can show 1,000,000 citations showing it working the way he says it's done, but that doesn't show he's right, and you're wrong. All it takes is for you to post one concrete example showing it works the way you think you've heard.

BTW... While each MAC gets it's own IP, and each IP can be assigned to only one MAC, it does not follow that each IP must be a separate NIC because a NIC can have more than one MAC. (A NIC can have more than one interface, and each interface in use must have it's own MAC.)

Reply to

Do you have a source for that? I have heard (but I too am sourceless) that "some modems" have the ability to recognize up to three MAC addresses and throttle each. This is possible because the modem uses a version of time division modulation for upstream transmissions. In other words (what I have heard is that) each IP gets a separate time slot. [Note that each IP must be a separate NIC (by definition).] - RM

Reply to
Rick Merrill

That's a play on words IMO. You can have an adapter card that has more than 1 ethernet interface (but it's highly rare in the PC world). People tend to think of a NIC as being a single interface. So although the stmt is correct - it's far from the norm. It's pretty much the same thing as combining 2 or 4 (for example) NICs into a single card - everything is still pretty much treated as separate devices and you could logically think of it as 2 or 4 NICs rather than 1 NIC with 2 or 4 interfaces. I played with cards like this years ago on Sun workstations.

Reply to
$Bill

Maybe. But down boy !!

Never heard of that!

Reply to
Rick Merrill

You're right. Multiple physical interfaces on NIC's are pretty rare for PC's. But it also slipped my mind that multihoming is fairly common. In that case, the same physical interface can have more than one IP address, so a MAC can have multiple IP's, and thus a NIC can have multiple IP's. This is actually fairly easy to setup on Windows NT/2000/XP, though you'd probably see it implemented on servers rather than workstations.

Reply to

I'm playing with cards like this on Sun servers TODAY. :-)

Reply to
Bill M.

Interesting - I haven't been on a Sun much since '96, so that's almost a decade ago. Those boards were like $1000 or so back then (maybe another $1000 or so for a 1GB ext disk drive [with fed discount]) - wonder what they go for now. ;)

Reply to
$Bill

I'm using servers with the Sun GigaSwift UTP 10/100/1000 PCI-64, Sun P/N X4444a, which has four RJ-45 ports and a list price of $895*. It's the upgraded replacement for the old Quad Fast Ethernet (QFE) cards from a few years ago.

*The company where I work enjoys a pretty nice discount off of list.
Reply to
Bill M.

The DOCSIS specs are online at .

It's possible that some modem manufacturer would implement such a non-standard enhancement, but it's not very likely. Implementing standard class-of-service priority between different addresses would probably be much more useful.

-Larry Jones

Who, ME? Who?! Me?? WHO... Me?! Who, me??? -- Calvin

Reply to
lawrence.jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.