How to revive a dead(ish) Linksys BEFSX41 router?

A friends BEFSX41 router died - so he gave to me to trash / play with.

I managed to get the latest firmware on it 1.50.18 .. but the router seems to be behaving very odd before and after the firmware upgrade.

1) Sometimes the admin pages will come, but mostly they don't. 2) Reset does not always work. 3) I hold down the reset key while unplugging it and plugging it back in - which seems to get it reset. 4) Firmware will not update ( I did manage it once). 5) Throughput is very slow / worse then dialup.

Seems like once I do a reset - I am good for a very short while - then it stops responding.

It's out of warranty - so either I give it a few last ditch trys, or a trash it.

Ideas / suggestions on how to reset / fix the router?

Reply to
riggor9999
Loading thread data ...

Trash. You might open it and see if it has leaking capacitors. It's the right age to have some of the faulty caps from China.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Try these links. They might be helpful.

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Jbob

Been there - I think this thing is trash.

Reply to
<riggor9999>

I opened it up - all looked ok. Nothing melted, nothing leaking.

It's trash.

Reply to
<riggor9999>

| Been there - I think this thing is trash. |

If the Router part doesn't work, disable Router, DHCP and other functions and just use it as a 4-port Ethernet switch.

That's what I did with a defective BEFSR41.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Replace your ethernet cable.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Thanks - but it's not the cable.

Before you ask - we have swapped out cables when initially troubleshooting it. As I said - he replaced it with a BEFSR41 and all is fine. I now have it at my house - connected to a different PC, using a different cable....and I cannot get it to flash or reset.

It's in the trash now.

Reply to
<riggor9999>

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.