how to connect to PC on comcast network

Hi all:

Got the 'cumsuck' cable internet. Works well. What I am wanting to do is be able to connect to my PC at home while I am at work or somebody's home. Unable to find info. What I have found is that they (comcast) can connect to your winbloz PC using Remote Assist. This would tell me that I should be able to connect to my PC once I find a connection to the comcast network.

I am running Linux (2.6 kernel) on my server. Any ideas on how to do this?

NOTE: In all honesty, the cable service has been fairly reliable. No major technical problems to report. (They did have DNS bouncing for awhile but that seems gone now.) My major complaint is the customer service and the COMPLETE LACK OF KNOWLEDGE of the support personnel. Ask them a question and their response is "reboot the computer" or "reboot the modem" or "we don't support that". They don't know what "that" is! They are a worthless bunch of phone monkeys who have no value what so ever!

Sorry for my rant - I feel better now. Thanks.

Reply to
raggmopp
Loading thread data ...

Set sshd to start on boot. Start the sshd daemon. I assume you will set the firewall is set to allow incomming ssh and have strong passwords for *all* accounts.

then you should be able to do a ssh raggmopp@ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

For extra points man ssh man sshd

Reply to
Bit Twister

Bit Twister:

What is the c-xx-xx-xx-xx? The IP address assigned to me by the ISP? Tried with the hyphens and the dot notation but still no luck.

Reply to
raggmopp

Looks like I have it.

ssh c-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.hsd1.co.comcast.net

The 'x' characters are the octets of IP address.

Reply to
raggmopp

It is the node name. With comcast, with ip address.

Has to have the sub domains. Try c-24-9-229-17.hsd1.co.comcast.net

Reply to
Bit Twister

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.