Host Email Server via Comcast.net?

I want to build a Windows 2003 E-mail server and use it for establishing e-mail accounts for my domain using the Pop3/SMTP E-mail service provided with the OS.

I have a Windows 2003 server, a domain name resolving to the ISP dynamic address (barely ever changes), and the POP3 service installed on the server. The internal LAN address is in a DMZ on my router and no software firewall is enabled. The server functions as a test web server just fine.

I'm a bit stuck on setting up the MX record via register.com and understanding how to route the e-mail to my private e-mail server appropriately. When I send an e-mail to snipped-for-privacy@mydomain.com, i get a smtp relay failure from my sending ISP (ie: at work). What am I missing? Do I have the neccesary resources at my disposal to make this work? Do I need to register my mail server with my ISP's DNS servers, or will register.com's DNS servers do that for me with the MX record?

I don't want to have to buy an e-mail account for my own domain through register.com

Reply to
Billy
Loading thread data ...

Read the Comcast Terms of Service (ToS) and Authorized Use Policy (AUP) I think you'll find that this is not allowed and could lead to your account termination.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Hey, your fingers do not seem to be broke. comcast.net Terms of Service AUP

(xiv) run programs, equipment, or servers from the Premises that provide network content or any other services to anyone outside of your Premises LAN (Local Area Network), also commonly referred to as public services or servers. Examples of prohibited services and servers include, but are not limited to, e-mail, Web hosting, file sharing, and proxy services and servers;

Reply to
Bit Twister

Could you cite the specific part of the AUP/TOS which prohibits running a mail server? The last time that I looked at the Comcast AUP/TOS it was worded similar to my SBC AUP/TOS; running an MTA is acceptable as long as the MTA only serves the account members for the premises, and nobody else.

Reply to
NormanM

Even ignoring the TOS issues, none of the mail servers I manage or that

1000s of other admins manage will accept email from an IP in a dynamic block.
Reply to
David Ross

And? If he is the only person using the server, he is not making the server available to anybody outside of his Premises LAN. Or did it not occur to you that he could be the only person on his Premises LAN using the server?

That, BTW, is very comparable to my ISP's (SBC's) wording. I run a server, but you can't use it; I (and the other person on this Premises LAN) are the only ones who can use it. You can try to use it, but you will be refused.

Reply to
NormanM

Never let an MSFT server connect to the Internet; at least not unless you are a certified server administrator. And maybe not even then.

In the DMZ with no firewall. Do you leave your in front of the store with the engine running and the doors unlocked? That is how your server is currently configured; and an MSFT product, at that. Probably seriously compromised by now.

The MX record should associate your domain to your IP address. When a mail server tries to send email to your domain, it will find your IP address and connect to your server. The routing is automatic. However, if you have configured your mail server properly, you shouldn't be able to relay email from outside of your LAN without authentication. To do that would clearly violate your ISP's TOS, not to mention leave your server open to relay for anybody else connecting from the outside; the reason why your ISP has a TOS limiting your server to local (your premises LAN) use only. You (and whomever else is considered a user on your premises LAN) should be the only ones making use of your server. That means, not giving access to your friends, neighbors, and family members not living under your roof (on your premises).

Reply to
NormanM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.