help with befsr41 linksys

my cable modem is connected to one of these "routers". the

192.168.1.100 pc works fine. a second pc on the network collects an ip address and what appears to be all the correct dns information. the linksys router sees pc number 2. i can ping the other pc, and the 192.68.1.1. i can ping ip addresses i know on the internet in the outside world. but i cannot ping or connect to the address if i try the "url". like my i can't use the dns?? so i'm concluding that all comm stuff is good...

any ideas??

thanks

cr

Reply to
calrball
Loading thread data ...

I believe that you ain't gettin dns from the router. Odd that it would just do that to the one PC, tho. But I had a dlink do it to me. try setting your ISP's dns servers IP addreses static in the PC.

Reply to
aard

Yes, you might try using capitals and proper line structure, so that your message is readable.

Reply to
James Knott

The working PC is 192.168.1.100. The non working PC is 192.168.1.101. ipconfig /all on the non working PC shows default gateway of

192.168.1.1. It shows two DNS listings (that are not in front of me) that match the DNS from the cable modem, also visible when I look at the http://192.168.1.1 admin port on the working PC.

If the n> calrball wrote:

Reply to
calrball

Given the typo above, please enter the IP for BOTH PCs and the gateway/router.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Linksys BEFSR41.

So I guess seeing the correct info for DNS with the ipconfig /all is not good enough? I need to check tcp/ip properties and manually enter the info?

Reply to
calrball

Check the TCP/IP settings on the non working PC. Make sure it is set to use DNS from the remote DNS by DHCP.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Right! It also might help to ID the type of router you have.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

The message is that you should make sure that the PC is getting DNS information via DHCP (i.e. from the gateway). If for some reason or other this is not possible, enter data manually.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

The DNS data was manually entered and it did not change the outcome.

Reply to
calrball

Why was it not possible to get DNS via DHCP?

Reply to
Rick Merrill

I think that is my question. I feel confident that that the pc has the DNS information. I am guessing the failing piece is the Linksys, there is no other piece that could be the problem.

Rick Merrill wrote:

Reply to
calrball

Try the 2 minute drill: power off all; wait 2 min; power modem; wait 2 min; power router; wait 2 min power PC.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.