Help --slow downloads with router

I am new to this newsgroup and I hope someone can help me. I have installed a Linksys BEFSR81 router and we have a home network with 4, PC and an Xbox connected. Everything works well, and PC's connect to the internet.

The problem we have is the surfing the web is slower than we are use to and downloading files from the web is very slow. If we download something with Kaza or Ares download speeds are normal. When I do a download speed test I am getting 446 kbps. Before we setup the network I would get over 3000 kbps and the same speed test site.

We have high speed cable and I have the windows firewall disabled. We are using zonealarm pro as a firewall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

RDG

Reply to
rdg
Loading thread data ...

Shut down the modem and router. Reboot the router, when it has stabilized (watch the lights), reboot the router.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

formatting link
suspect you need to lower the MTU value to 1492. See page 25 of the User's Guide. ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/befsr81ug.pdf Good luck.

Reply to
Art Jackson

You should not need to install any software for the router.

Are you comparing pre-router one-at-a-time use with post-router up-to-four-users at once use?

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Also, the OS you use can have some bearing on the problem. You might check to see that the router is set to communicate with the modem in half-duplex as the auto functions are sometimes not up to determining the correct duplex setting, and this can cause problems. Set the speed to 100mbps (if your modem/router) supports it, and use full-duplex and 100mbps between the computers and router (again, if they support it).

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Thanks to everyone who replied with ideas to resolve my problem. Nothing seemed to work so I returned the Linksys 8 port router and I am back to using my 4 port D Link and download speeds are great again.

Thanks again ... It is great people take the time to help someone when they have problems !

rdg

Reply to
rdg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.