Help setting up new Linksys Cable Modem and Rogers High Speed Internet service

Hello -

I am trying to set up a new Linksys Cable Modem and Activate it on Rogers High Speed Internet.

The set up was fine (I think) from my end, I have Windows XP which detected the new cable modem and all looked fine.

The problem occured when I went on to the last step and called Rogers to give them my MAC Address: they didn't know what to do with it.

I spent hours on the phone between the business set up area and technical support and in the end, they told me that the Linksys modem is not compatible, and that only Docsys and Terayon Models work.

Now I know this can't be true because I've seen posts on the usenet groups dated a few years ago and people seem to be getting them to work.

Can anyone tell me what to tell Rogers admin people to help them?

Reply to
Trizi
Loading thread data ...

The roger's site shows they support their own list of DOCSIS modems: # Motorola model number SB5100 # Toshiba model number PCX2600 # Scientific Atlanta model numbers DPX2100 and DPC2100 # RCA model number DCM 325 # Linksys model number BEFCMU10 and says you can rent for $3/mo or buy for $100.

It doesn't seem to indicate a list of other acceptable modems if any - although they do indicate 'numerous retail outlets' as a possibility. They seem to want to keep a tight rein on your modem and make some money in the process.

You'd think as long as your mode is DOCSIS 2.0 that they'd be able to provision it.

What is your modem model ? Have you tried just hooking it up and trying to run ?

Reply to
$Bill

Does DOCSIS make feature modification transparent?

Reply to
BR

I have no idea what that means. I'm sure you could Google DOCSIS and find the spec online somewhere.

Reply to
$Bill

Hello -

Thanks for looking that up. I have a Linksys BEFCMU10 (with USB and Ethernet Connections - I doubt if that makes any difference)

I tried just setting it up but no go. Also Linksys documentation says the cable provider needs the MAC address on their side.

Thanks, I seem to be getting the info I need. Could you tell me where on Rogers site you saw this model number? I want to use it when I call them again.

Reply to
Trizi

Well, it's obvious they need to provision your modem. Call them up and tell them your ready to go and somebody should be able to help you.

I'm not sure since my history doesn't show the exact URL. Look in FAQs/help/internet/support areas.

Maybe try:

formatting link
*&p_li= Or try searching for your BEFCMU10 under: Internet Services Hi-Speed Internet Extreme

Reply to
$Bill

Thanks for the responses.

Rogers needs your new cable modem's serial number and MAC Address, which is on the bottom of the modem.

I called Rogers business area twice, the first time waiting for several hours being swapped between the business area and technical support.

Then I posted this item and got the information. The link sent by Bill to the Rogers site clearly states the modem is supported.

On the second call I called the tech support number from the website. The Tech support people confirmed that the modem was supported and passed me on to the business area. The business area still couldn't confirm that the modem was supported. He told me I'd have to take the modem in to a Rogers store and get someone there to connect it. So I asked to be transferred back to tech support and basically said I needed a second-level support person to call the business area and walk them through it. The tech support person took the information needed and I was finally connected and my modem is working beautifully now.

I guess it all depends on who you get on the other side of the phone.

Thanks everyone !

The people in the business area basically don't know anything about

Reply to
Trizi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.