Help. Linksys, XP, cable modem... the sordid story...

Run the network setup wizard in Windows XP, and specify that this computer connects to the Internet through another computer (your Linksys router, in case you were curious). It is set up to connect directly to the Internet, which means it will work FINE if you connect it straight to a cable odem. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.
Loading thread data ...

I've got a new PC, running XPand I'm having no success in getting this box on the network.

The router is a Linksys BEFSR41 , 4 port wired router. There's two other machines on it, on running win98 and another XPbox.

The new machine plays fine on the net, IF you feed the output of the cable modem directly into the network card on the new XP PC. If you put the cable modem feed back into the router, the network works fine for the other 2 machines, but the new XP box , now hooked to the router, doesn't see the network I can take another PC, and plug the network feed out of the router that did NOT work with the XP box, plug it in, and other PC works fine. Re-hook up new XP box, and again, no go (it wont load an IP address).

I'm running out of ideas. All previous machines with this router have been plug and play, and indeed this new PC works fine...as long as the router isnt between it and the cable modem.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks! J. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= X-No-Archive: Yes

Reply to
J.

Is the new XP machine XP SP2? If so, try turning off the firewall.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Provide ipconfig information for each computer, and let's diagnose the problem. Start - Run - "cmd". Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the command window - Open c:\ipconfig.txt in Notepad, make sure that Format - Word Wrap is NOT checked!, copy and paste entire contents into your next post. Identify operating system (by name, version, and SP level) with each ipconfig listing.

Reply to
Chuck

First, make sure the Windows Firewall is OFF. Then, if you have another firewall program (and you SHOULD), disable it as well. Now hook up the computer to the router, and shut down Windows, and restart. It is also sometimes necessary to put in the host name required by your cable company into the TCP/IP parameters. You should be able to find this information from one of the working Win98 systems.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.