getting service - but something's not right

My ISP is Comcast, in the middle Tennessee area.

Some time ago I began to get sporadic connections -- would not be able to get to the internet for a couple of hours, then could. Finally got a service tech to come out. He first said the cable modem had gone bad, and replaced it. But the new one 'won't synch up', so he went through a couple of more, then decided it must be the line. Put a test instrument on it, and said the signal was "too hot." Called another tech out to go up the pole. They futzed around some more, an finally said they'd come back the next morning. (This was getting into the evening on Friday, and they were way over on their shift.)

Well, as you can guess, they never came back. I've not had any service interruptions since, BUT ...... ever since that visit, the 'data' LED on the modem is consantly flashing at a very high rate. Even when the computer is turned off. (This is a Teradyne modem, with the LED's labeld 'Power', 'Cable', 'PC', 'Data', and 'Test'. I'm presuming the Power, Cable, and PC are exactly what one would expect, and the Data and Test are really Send and Receive.

I've not called Comcast, because I *DO* have service, but it still seems that something "just ain't right."

Thoughts?

Reply to
Ed Stevens
Loading thread data ...

It's normal "background " cable activity. Can't explain any better. Mine goes nuts also.

Reply to
KenW

Can you see the modem levels with that modem?

Reply to
Dave

It's called Address Resolution Protocol, or "ARP", and it's how the network associates hardware, which only has a MAC address, with the IP addresses handed out by the cable co's DHCP server, and yes, it's very normal, and means things are actually working...

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

No. When I point my browser to the modem (192.168.100.1) I get a "main" page and a "troubleshoot" page. Main shows the following information:

USB: Not connected Ethernet: 100 base T Full Duplex USB Vendor ID: 06 cc MAC Address: CM Model; TJ715x

Cable Signal: Ready Tuning: Complete Ranging: Complete Data Service: Ready Connecting: Complete Configuring: Complete Registering: Complete Current State: Operational Highest State Obtained: Operational Auto Refresh is currently off

And for grins, Troubleshoot give the following:

Dr. Modem has examined your modem Dr. Modem's Diagnosis: - The modem is fully operational

How's that for succinct to the point of being non-informative? :-)

Reply to
Ed Stevens

Is that a Teradyne (as you mentioned in your first post) or a Terayon modem ?

If it's a Terayon (TJ715 - not sure if TJ715X is the same) you should be able to go to these pages :

Main http://192.168.100.1/mainPageTroubleshoot http://192.168.100.1/modemTroubleshootPageConnection http://192.168.100.1/modemRfPage Advanced Links : (only available after logging in)

Event Log http://192.168.100.1/modemLogPageStatus http://192.168.100.1/modemStatusPageDS Freq http://192.168.100.1/modemDsFreqPageConfiguration http://192.168.100.1/modemConfigPageLogout http://192.168.100.1/logout Try going to the modemLogPage and typing in the password >

If it's the same as the TJ715, that should get you in and you can go to the Connection link and get your numbers.

Reply to
$Bill

It is also the various internet bots, viruses, etc... walking the IP addresses pissibilities looking for unpatched systems to infect. Which is why you always run a router these days.

Reply to
DLR

Gene S. Berkowitz wrote: > In article , KenW says... >> wrote: >>> My ISP is Comcast, in the middle Tennessee area. >>> Some time ago I began to get sporadic connections -- would not be able >>> to get to the internet for a couple of hours, then could. Finally got >>> a service tech to come out. He first said the cable modem had gone >>> bad, and replaced it. But the new one 'won't synch up', so he went >>> through a couple of more, then decided it must be the line. Put a >>> test instrument on it, and said the signal was "too hot." Called >>> another tech out to go up the pole. They futzed around some more, an >>> finally said they'd come back the next morning. (This was getting into >>> the evening on Friday, and they were way over on their shift.) >>>

It is also the various internet bots, viruses, etc... walking the IP addresses possibilities looking for unpatched systems to infect. Which is why you always run a router these days.

Reply to
DLR

Reply to
BigJim

DOH!

Yes, Terayon.

Cool. I never knew those additional pages were there! Where does one find the docs on the modem?

Here's what the RF Parameters page reports:

Tx Power: 42.2 dBmV Rx Power: -4.9 dBmV Downstream SNR: 33.0 dB Downstream MER: 31.9 dB Tx Frequency: 34000000 Hz Rx Frequency: 693000000 Hz

Reply to
Ed Stevens

Not sure there are any besides the LED sheet:

LED Color Definition Power Green Dark when power is Off. Solid when power is On. Cable Green Dark for no downstream RF carrier present or power Off. Flashing slowly for downstream RF carrier present and ranging in process. Flashing fast when registration is in process, or if flashing fast continuously, network access has been disabled by your cable company. Solid for modem registration complete and ready to transfer data. PC Green Dark when no carrier is present to or from PC, or power is Off. Solid when carrier is present to or from PC. Data Green Dark when no data is passing through modem or power is Off. Flashing when data is passing through modem. Test Amber Dark when initial modem self-test is OK, or power is Off. Flashing when modem self-test is in process, or when modem is receiving software updates. Solid when modem fails the initial self-test.

That looks OK - what does your config page look like ? It should show your bandwidth and version info.

Reply to
$Bill

In article , $Bill wrote: :Ed Stevens wrote: : :> Here's what the RF Parameters page reports: :> :> Tx Power: 42.2 dBmV :> Rx Power: -4.9 dBmV :> Downstream SNR: 33.0 dB :> Downstream MER: 31.9 dB :> Tx Frequency: 34000000 Hz :> Rx Frequency: 693000000 Hz : :That looks OK - what does your config page look like ? It should show :your bandwidth and version info.

That 33.0 dB downstream SNR is right at the minimum recommendation for 256 QAM modulation. If the SNR drifts lower you'll likely see packet loss or even a dropped connection.

formatting link

Reply to
Robert Nichols

No specific bandwidth stuff ...

PC Connectivity: USB: Not Connected Ethernet: 100 BaseT Full Duplex USB Vendor ID: 06 cc MAC Address: CM Model: TJ715x

Cable Signal: Ready Tuning: Complete Ranging: Complete

Data Service: Ready Connecting: Complete Configuring: Complete Registering: Complete

Current state: Operational Highest State Obtained: Operational

Kind of reminds me of what a co-worker told me many years ago about the IT shop he worked in prior to the current job. Mgmt was anal about hearing "the system is down" -- pretty much forbade the use of the phrase. So the programmers put a rubber chicken on a stick. If the chicken was "up", it meant the system was up. So you could tell the status of the system by looking at the chicken. Ever since hearing that story, whenever I see a report (kinda like this page from the modem!) that summarises to the point of being useless, I think "So, the chicken is up."

Reply to
Ed Stevens

Wron page: try: modemconfigpage which should give your throttle speeds and such.

Reply to
$Bill

Modem IP Hardware Version 9.0 Software Version 6.25 DOCSIS Version 2.0 Configuration file name d11_m_tj715_silver_c01.cm Maximum Downstream Bandwidth 6600000 Maximum Upstream Bandwidth 384000 Maximum Number of CPEs 1

I notice these are "max' bandwidth. Any way to see 'actual achieved'?

Reply to
Ed Stevens

That's more than me (Adelphia) on downstream, but the upstream is a bit lower :

Mine: Down: 4823450 Up: 463051

You can run one of the many bandwidth testers out there. Here's two:

formatting link

Reply to
$Bill

Survey Says! .....

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-02-23 18:49:41 EST:

1236 / 300 Your download speed : 1236 kbps or 154.6 KB/sec. That is 72.9% worse than avg. other reports from comcast.net

Your upload speed : 300 kbps or 37.6 KB/sec. That is 23.4% worse than avg. other reports from comcast.net

Gee, and I've had no complaints about speed ... but this says I should be getting MUCH more!

Reply to
Ed Stevens

1) Try running it again (make sure you have the closest server), it can vary by time of day and such since local traffic can vary. Make sure you don't have anything else running at the same time. 2) Try the 'testmy' one too and see if you get a similar result.
Reply to
$Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.