Do wireless routers slow down cable internet access?

Then why didn't he change the subject or post to the thread that was supposedly having the problem ?

She understands that his post didn't belong in this thread, was cryptic in it's message and improperly formatted in the quoting area.

Reply to
$Bill
Loading thread data ...

That's great. He wasn't addressing you.

He said, as has been quoted several times now, "Anybody who RESPONDED TO THIS POST {the spam}... is participating in a flood of another newsgroup."

It has *nothing* to do with the original topic at hand, nor the original post. The subject line and references header were used to tack it onto an existing thread. People are falling for it left and right, replying to these inflammatory messages -- those replies are being dumped into news.admin.net-abuse.email because people don't notice the follow-up header. That's the whole point.

No, it wasn't. That's why you're missing the point - he wasn't talking to you, or anyone else involved in the original discussion about wireless routers. He was talking to people who REPLIED TO THE SPAM, and are helping to flood news.admin.net-abuse.email without realizing it. That group is getting nearly 1000 messages a day because of this. It's a real problem.

Glad to hear it. I'd suggest researching how References: and Follow-up-to: headers work, because you're not grasping what's going on here.

From your reply to Norman:

The original post is *irrelevant* -- that's what I'm trying to get across to you. A follow-up can be set for *any* message. It doesn't have anything to do with the original post at all.

Once again, YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT ENTIRELY. He's *not* accusing everyone who participated in the actual thread of anything.. He's addressing people WHO REPLIED TO THE DEAD BABY RECIPES -- the spam -- which DO have the follow-up-to header set to the admin group. That's why he *referred* and *quoted the *spam* message.

I don't mean to be curt, but *you* are the one who started in and demanded an apology when you're clearly not understanding what's going on.

Reply to
Garner Miller

BTW... The admins at many servers noticed the abnormal activity, and quashed the counterfeit "dead baby" posts. Many people probably never saw them, and don't even know what's being discussed here.

For those folks, what happened is about 50 posts from the past week or two were hijacked. New content, very offensive content replaced the real content, and flooded this newsgroup, and other newsgroups as well. The headers were adjusted to look like they were from the same people who originally posted here, but they were set so that anyone who replied to them without looking would actually post their follow-up to news.admin.net-abuse.email instead of here.

If you missed it all, you didn't miss anything worthwhile, but you may be puzzled by this thread, which *is* getting picked-up even on the servers that missed the original flood of offensive messages.

Reply to
Warren

Never saw that post on my server - so that explains part of it.

Reply to
$Bill

Never said it was. It is a "sporgery", I believe that is the term; designed to draw a response that will flood another group. The entity responsible is either "Hipcrime", or one of his minions, or a clone.

Reply to
NormanM

Not the headers in the post I responded to; those look like this:

----------------------------------- Path: newssvr21.news.prodigy.com!newsdbm01.news.prodigy.com! newsdbm04.news.prodigy.com!newsdst01.news.prodigy.com! newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!newsswing.news.prodigy.com! prodigy.net!news.glorb.com!tdsnet-transit!newspeer.tds.net! news.doit.wisc.edu!news-out.nyroc.rr.com!twister.nyroc.rr.com.POSTED!

53ab2750!not-for-mail From: Garner Miller Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems.cable Subject: Re: Do wireless routers slow down cable internet access? Followup-To: news.admin.net-abuse.email Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 06:02:52 GMT Organization: Road Runner Lines: 72 Approved: Garner Miller Message-ID: References: NNTP-Posting-Host: 146.151.25.37 X-Trace: news.doit.wisc.edu 1104224993 18922 146.151.25.37 (28 Dec 2004 09:09:53 GMT) X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@doit.wisc.edu NNTP-Posting-Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:09:53 +0000 (UTC) Xref: newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com comp.dcom.modems.cable:163912

-----------------------------------

Some NNTP server admins kill these kinds of posts, so you may not have seen the post I responded to. However, a check of my posting headers should have revealed the message references.

Nope. Nothing to apologize for. Well, except, maybe, I was a bit careless in failing to point out that the post I responded to was a forgery, and Garner Miller definitely was not the poster. But my comment about the post stands; the Folloup-To: was definitely set to N.A.N.A.E., and anybody who responds without changing the target group will send her response to that group.

Reply to
NormanM

The fact that there was no message that had that content to quote. Some of our servers must have tossed it.

Since I never saw the orig msg, I bow out and don't think anyone needs to apologize now that we all understand what's going on.

Reply to
$Bill

Here are the references in my response to the message in question:

References:

The post I responded to had a message reference, which would put it in some thread, I suppose. I don't see the point in changing the subject.

What would be "proper formatting" in the quoting area? I will not apologize for pointing out that a message had an improper "Folloup-To:" set.

Reply to
NormanM

I didn't see the original message either and was clueless to the whole affair. Now that I understand what happened, and since my server's admins also quashed the original posts I retract my request for an appology, and infact offer one of my own. It's a bummer to be spammed, that I know first hand.

Please accept _my_ apology for jumping to hasty conclusions. I will graciously bow out now.

Karyn

Reply to
Karyn Guilmore

Ditto! If I had, I would've been clued in a little more.

Excuse me for raising a ruckus.

Happy (and safe) New Year, Karyn

Reply to
Karyn Guilmore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.