DNS server feeding a bogus IP

I can see the traffic from the head end, but not other users traffic.

Reply to
James Knott
Loading thread data ...

I saw the following in another news group.

"Not to mention when you trust your ISPs DNS server you open yourself up to being mislead even if the DNS server isn't compromised.

This is especially easy to do in most cable-modem networks because the entire neighborhood is on "broadcast" where everyone in the neighborhood sees all the traffic from each other.

Here's a scenario, your neighbor has his box set up to listen for your dns requests going out. When his box sees your request go out it crafts a response that looks like it is coming from the DNS server feeding it a bogus IP, thus redirecting your computer to the wrong IP. "

Is that true on a DOCSIS cable network?

My Motorola SURFboard sb4220 modem status page shows the Initialize Baseline Privacy Done which I thought encripted the packets passed through it.

Now that I think about it, if it encripted the packets how would they get where they need to go?

Reply to
Bit Twister

Nope, you cannot see other user's upstreams - cable modems do not have

receivers for the upstream channels.

Reply to
Kip Patterson

That was only true nearly 9 years ago, and in CT! It is not true anywhere these days.

That would only be possible on a LAN.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.