DNS problem

Hi,

I am having a strange problem with Linksys WRT54G router. Every couple of days, I start to experience problem accessing web pages. The DNS servers are not responding when I try to ping them. However, if I restart the router, the problem goes away. I have a Link RTP300 (for vonage) behind the WRT54G router. WRT54G is connected to the cable modem.

I have contacted Linksys tech support but they were of no help. Anyone with this problem? any suggestion?

thank you.

Reply to
katelyn11
Loading thread data ...

My bet is somewhere along the way you made some seemingly innocent change to the router's settings based on incomplete information about what the impact of the change would be. Perhaps you read somewhere that this or that should be enabled or disabled because it provides more security, but it wasn't fully explained why it provides more security, and actually had other unintended results.

Reset the router to factory specs, and set it up from scratch again. Pay close attention to any changes you make in the configuration, and what impact they have. If you're not sure of what the full impact is of any changes you make from the factory settings, don't make the change until you research it. Don't make any changes based on blind-faith; know what the change does.

Reply to
Warren

There is a problem it looks like when the router is renewing it's IP, the DNS is either not updating or is updating to all 0's. I've had this problem before. You can verify this by waiting until the problem happens, then checking the status page of the router to see what the router has for DNS. Run an ipconfig/all to match the DNS servers on your computer to what linksys has. They should all match.

If you can't ping your ISP's DNS, maybe their public DNS servers are on DHCP addresses themselves. That would mean that when you obtain an especially long lease from your ISP's DNS server and during that lease the address of the DNS server(s) change, and a new DHCP update is not set, it would explain the problem. Verify the IPs of the DNS servers over some time.

If all else fails, maybe your ISP simply has flakey DNS servers and you should consider using some others -- there are public ones (but don't use the root). I run my own DNS server and this reduces browsing time.

Reply to
Jon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.