DHCP Server unreachable

I have Comcast Internet service and just bought a Motorola SB5120 modem and connected my Compaq EVO laptop to the internet with no problems. However, I was trying to connect my Dell Windows 2000 PC as well but cannot get a connection. However, ipconfig returns 0.0.0.0 for both the Autoconfiguration IP Address and Subnet Mask and

ipconfig /release Windows 2000 IP Configuration All adapters bound to DHCP do not have DHCP addresses. The addresses were automatically configured and can not be released.

ipconfig / renew Windows 2000 IP Configuration The following error occurred when renewing adapter Local Area Connection: DHCP Server unreachable.

I had to install Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) (which is set to obtain IP address and DNS server automatically) and NetBEUI protocol.

Has anyone seen this same problem or have any ideas on how to fix it?

Reply to
btkwheeler
Loading thread data ...

anytime you change the device connected to the cable modem, power off the cable modem for 1 minute by your watch, power up cable modem, then the computer.

Reply to
Bit Twister

How are you trying to connect the Dell? Hub, Switch, Router, or are you disconnecting the Compaq and then plugging in the Dell? Jim

Reply to
Jim

Thanks for the advice. I was just disconnecting the ethernet cable from my laptop and connecting it to the Dell. I tried powering off the cable modem for 1 min, connected the ethernet cable to the Dell, powering up the cable modem and then the computer, but still the same problem persists.

I do have a router (which works with my laptop) but I thought I better not complicate things and right now I'm just connecting from my cable modem's ethernet port directly to the Compaq or Dell ethernet port.

Reply to
btkwheeler

Since it appears that you are using Google to post to Usenet, you realy need to take time to read

formatting link
Do read the links at the bottom the the above webpage.

I suggest checking if your ISP has a Usenet News server. If so, you need to use it with a usenet complient reader instead of using google to post usenet questions.

----------- standard New to Linux included text follows -------------

Other people's Free advice:

formatting link
from my laptop and connecting it to the Dell. I tried powering off the

I would suggest that any time you move an ethernet cable like that, you power reset the device which was connected to a computer.

Hmm, the rounter would/should have made it simpler. :) If you can hook laptop back to modem and it works, click up a Command Prompt and do an ipconfig release or ipconfig /release I forget which.

Power off everything hook up router and computers to router, then powerup cable modem, wait for modem sync, powerup router, then each computer should be able to chat through the router to the internet.

This assumes you have set each computer to chat with the router correctly to get an address or you hardcode ip values depending on your setup.

Easy example: You set the router to use dhcp to get a lease via the modem on the internet/WAN side (68.54.220.x) .

You set the router to hand out LAN (local net) ip address via dhcp. Each computer is configured to obtain a dhcp lease from the router (192.168.x.x).

Now as each computer comes up, it should get some 192.168.x.x ip address from the router.

Reply to
Bit Twister

You may have to force the Ethernet card to 100Mbps, if it is a gig-e card. I haven't seen this problem with a SB5100, but I guess it could happen. For some reason Dells sometimes won't realize they are on a

100Mbps c>Thanks for the advice. I was just disconnecting the ethernet cable
Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.